French translation

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
In summary, the translation of "embedded" in French is "immerger" (meaning to "submerse"). Its past participle is "immerge/(e)" with an accent on the first "e". The "/" accent is called the acute accent. The last "e" is put in brackets because in French the past participle has adjective value and therefore borrows the gender from the noun. For masculine/neutral singular, there is no extra letter added, for feminine singular, an "e" is added, and for plural, an extra "s" is added to the two possible forms, regardless of gender. "Immersed" in French is "immergé" and the translation of "one-form" is
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I know there are many people on Pf who speak french, so I take the chance.

What is the french translation (used in the mathematical literature) of "embedded"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The vb is "immerger" (means to "submerse"). Its past participle is "immerge/(e)" with an accent on the first "e". The "/" accent (don't know how to name it in English). The last "e" is put in brackets because in French the past participle has adjective value and therefore borrows the gender from the substantiv. It's without the "e" for a masculine/neutral singular and with an "e" for feminine singular. If it's plural, an extra "s" is added to the 2 forms possible, regardless the gender.

Daniel.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
The vb is "immerger" (means to "submerse"). Its past participle is "immerge/(e)" with an accent on the first "e". The "/" accent (don't know how to name it in English). The last "e" is put in brackets because in French the past participle has adjective value and therefore borrows the gender from the substantiv. It's without the "e" for a masculine/neutral singular and with an "e" for feminine singular. If it's plural, an extra "s" is added to the 2 forms possible, regardless the gender.

Daniel.

Just to note you would only add an extra "e" or "s" if you were to use it as an adjective, you would not, however, add any extra letters if you were to congugate it as a verb in the past tense.

Daniel, "immerger" seems like a reasonable translation, but it surprises me because I read that for N, M two manifolds and an immersion P:N-->M (a map having certain properties), P(N) is said to be an immersed submanifold of M and P(N) is said to be embedded in M if P is a homeom. of N into its image.

So immersed and embedded seem to have slightly different meaning. What is the translation of "immersed" then?

Google Translate says embedded = incorporé and immersed = immergé. But I'm not a native speaker so I don't know which verbs to use. For reference, the "/" accent (points up and to the right), as Daniel used it, is called the acute accent, or "l'accent aigü."

d_leet said:
Just to note you would only add an extra "e" or "s" if you were to use it as an adjective, you would not, however, add any extra letters if you were to congugate it as a verb in the past tense.

Yes, i know that, it's just that i was sure that he wanted the translation of the adjective.

Daniel.

While we're at it, what's the translation of "one-form" ?

What is "wedge" as in "wedge product" ?

produit exterieure? or produit alternee?

as for embed, what about plonger? that seems more common to me; i am not too knowledgeable in french, but i think i have never seen immerger used.

1) What is the process of French translation?

The process of French translation involves converting a text or document from one language to French. It typically involves three main steps: understanding the source text, translating it into French, and reviewing and editing the translation for accuracy and clarity.

2) What qualifications are needed to become a French translator?

To become a French translator, one should have a strong command of both French and their native language, as well as a deep understanding of the cultural nuances and context of both languages. A degree in translation, linguistics, or a related field is also recommended.

3) How long does it take to translate a document from English to French?

The time it takes to translate a document from English to French depends on several factors, such as the length and complexity of the document, the translator's proficiency, and the subject matter. On average, a professional translator can translate about 2,000 words per day.

4) Is machine translation as accurate as human translation for French?

No, machine translation is not as accurate as human translation for French. While advancements in technology have improved the accuracy of machine translation, it still lacks the understanding and cultural nuances that a human translator can provide. It is best to use machine translation as a tool for assistance, rather than relying on it solely for accurate translations.

5) Are there different dialects of French that should be considered in translation?

Yes, there are different dialects of French that should be considered in translation. While Standard French is the official language in France, there are also variations in dialect and vocabulary in other French-speaking countries, such as Canada, Belgium, and Switzerland. It is important for a translator to be aware of these differences and adapt the translation accordingly.