Copper(II) Sulphate and hydration

• Thread starter nathaniell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the theoretical value for the heat of hydration of copper. It is mentioned that cupric sulfate comes in two forms, anhydrous and pentahydrate. The speaker is looking for the heat of anhydrous copper(II) sulphate and is having trouble finding thermodynamic data for it. They suggest calculating it from the standard heats of formation for the anhydride and pentahydrate, but there are some considerations to take into account, such as the heat of formation for the liquid or gas form of 5H2O.
nathaniell
Hey poeple do any of you know what is the theoretical value for the heat of hydartion of copper

I need it to make some calculations in my lab

Physics news on Phys.org
Cupric sulfate? It comes in two flavors, anhydrous and as the pentahydrate.

Yes I want the heat of anhydrous copper(II) sulphate

Sorry, I misread your OP to mean heat of solution...

I have been having trouble finding thermodynamic data for anhydrous cupric sulfate as far as heat of hydration. I am only using the internet and my latest edition of the CRC (84th ed). Its not there.

You might find this in the library or you could calculate from the standard heats of formation for the anhydride and the pentahydrate. There are some tricks to the calculation...

The reaction would be:

CuSO4 + 5 H2O -----> CuSO4(5H2O)

You can easily find the standard heat of formation for the anhydride and the pentahydrate but what value should you use for the 5H2O? The heat of formation of the gas or the liquid?

1. What is the chemical formula for Copper(II) Sulphate?

The chemical formula for Copper(II) Sulphate is CuSO4.

2. What is the process of hydration for Copper(II) Sulphate?

The process of hydration for Copper(II) Sulphate involves adding water to the compound, which causes it to dissolve and form a blue solution. The chemical reaction is as follows: CuSO4 + 5H2O → CuSO4 ·5H2O.

3. How does the color of Copper(II) Sulphate change during hydration?

The color of Copper(II) Sulphate changes from white or colorless to blue during hydration. This is due to the formation of the hydrated form of the compound, which has a different molecular structure and absorbs certain wavelengths of light, giving it a blue color.

4. What is the purpose of adding water to Copper(II) Sulphate?

The purpose of adding water to Copper(II) Sulphate is to dissolve the compound and form a solution. This allows for easier handling and use of the compound in various applications, such as in the production of fertilizers, pigments, and pharmaceuticals.

5. Can Copper(II) Sulphate undergo dehydration?

Yes, Copper(II) Sulphate can undergo dehydration, which is the process of removing water from the compound. This can be achieved by heating the hydrated form of the compound, resulting in the formation of an anhydrous (water-free) form. The chemical reaction is as follows: CuSO4 ·5H2O → CuSO4 + 5H2O.