Shouldn't the electromagnetic fields in waves be 90 degrees out of phase?

In summary, the content of the conversation revolves around the phase relationship between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves. The books state that the fields are in phase, but the conversation brings up different perspectives and theories on the matter. The paper by a graduate student argues that there is a 90 degree phase difference between the fields and provides equations and waveforms to support this idea. Other participants in the conversation reference Maxwell's equations and explain that the fields are in phase due to the time derivative and curl of the fields. The conversation also mentions the use of vector calculus in understanding this concept.
pizzadude
Hi. All the books I read depict the electric fields and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves as being in phase - meaning they reach their max or their min at the same time. The books also say that the changing electric field creates magnetic field and changing magnetic field creates electric field.

If a changing electric field is described by a sine function, then its greatest changing rate happens when it approaches zero and least when it approaches 1. Bigger electric field changing rate leads to bigger magnetic field magnitude, so that means as electric field approaches 0 (biggest changing rate), magnetic field approaches maximum. Which leads me to think that they should be 90 degrees out of phase with each other in a electromagnetic wave.

I have read also that near a transmitter, the fields are 90 degrees out of phase, but as they move farther away from a transmitter, they become in sync or in phase. Can someone explain why?

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
for plane-waves (what you get when you are a long distance from the source), they are in-phase and the characteristic impedance ([itex]Z_0[/itex]) of free space or whatever media they are in is the scaling factor between them.

Hi rbj. Thanks for answering my question. Frankly, I don't really understand it. But it seems like I am not the only one. I searched around and found a paper written probably by some graduate student who seem convinced that electric field and magnetic field travel 90 degrees out of phase in electromagnetic waves. Here's a part of what he wrote:

The Poynting Vector expects the E and H fields to be in phase to get Watts/m2 average real power flow. But how can this be when it is believed that the two fields support each other as they travel through space? The energy traveling in space would have sinusoidal variations in amplitude. If this is the case, then where is the energy coming from and going to as it travels through free space? Does this violate the conservation of energy law? I maintain that there is a phase difference of 90 degrees between the E and H fields. Further to that, I believe that EM energy moves between the E and H fields supporting each other as they travel. And lastly, that the sum of the E and H field energy densities would be constant over complete cycles and decrease by 1/r2 from the energy source. See the equations and waveforms below: (Note that in figures 1A and 1B, E0 and H0 represent the magnitudes of the Electric and Magnetic fields respectively, whereas the red U0 and blue U0 represent the magnitudes of the Electric and Magnetic field energy densities)

The full paper can be found at: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/teslatutorial/EMCAH.doc

it's only 3 pages long. I find it interesting. I hope to hear other people's opinions on it. Thanks

pizzadude - Take another look at Maxwell's Equations in free space. The relationships between the electric and magnetic fields involves the time derivative of one and the curl (a some of spatial derivative) of the others. The change in space of a sin function is cos, but so is the change in time, so it works out. The plane wave solutions of electromagnetic radiation have the fields in phase.

pizzadude said:
Hi rbj. Thanks for answering my question. Frankly, I don't really understand it. But it seems like I am not the only one. I searched around and found a paper written probably by some graduate student who seem convinced that electric field and magnetic field travel 90 degrees out of phase in electromagnetic waves.

If he/she writes that when being a graduate student, that promises :biggrin:

Hi Stephan Hoyer. I searched more on what you explained on the internet. Just curious, did you learn that stuff in a general physics course like Electricity and Magnetism? Up to this point in my study (not much, just to electromagnetic waves now), I did not see any mention of space time derivative or "curl of some spatial derivative" in my textbook. The whole reason why electric field and magnetic field travel in sync seems to have been frog leaped and assumed that way without much explanations. I searched two textbooks and two Schaum's outlines so far.

pizzadude said:
Hi Stephan Hoyer. I searched more on what you explained on the internet. Just curious, did you learn that stuff in a general physics course like Electricity and Magnetism? Up to this point in my study (not much, just to electromagnetic waves now), I did not see any mention of space time derivative or "curl of some spatial derivative" in my textbook. The whole reason why electric field and magnetic field travel in sync seems to have been frog leaped and assumed that way without much explanations. I searched two textbooks and two Schaum's outlines so far.
I did indeed learn this sort of stuff in my courses on Electricity and Magnetism, but both courses I've taken (intro and advanced undergraduate) presumed a knowledge of vector calculus. You're probably studying a text without the same mathematical prerequisites (I used Purcell and then Griffiths).

I also have a typo in my post: it should read: "and the curl (a sort of spatial derivative) of the other."

1. Why are electromagnetic fields in waves typically 90 degrees out of phase?

Electromagnetic waves are transverse waves, meaning that the electric and magnetic fields oscillate perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This results in the two fields being out of phase with each other by 90 degrees.

2. Is it possible for electromagnetic fields in waves to be out of phase by a different angle?

Yes, it is possible for electromagnetic fields in waves to be out of phase by a different angle. This can occur in special cases, such as when the waves are reflected or transmitted at an interface between two different materials.

3. Can the phase difference between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves affect their properties?

Yes, the phase difference between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves can affect their properties. For example, in circularly polarized waves, the phase difference between the two fields determines the direction of rotation of the wave.

4. Are there any real-world applications that rely on the specific phase difference between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves?

Yes, there are many real-world applications that rely on the specific phase difference between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves. One example is in antennas, where the phase difference is crucial for efficient transmission and reception of electromagnetic signals.

5. How does the phase difference between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves change with distance?

The phase difference between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves does not change with distance. It remains constant throughout the propagation of the wave, unless it encounters a medium that alters its properties.