Exploring the Intersection of Quantum Mechanics & Astrophysics

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker needing a topic for a 30-40 minute presentation that could tie together quantum mechanics and astrophysics for their classes. Suggestions were made for topics such as cross sections and ionisation loss in collisions, as well as solving Schrodinger's equation for a particle in a sphere and comparing it to Emden's equation. The speaker mentioned having a background in math and being open to any ideas.
judonight
Ok, so I need a topic to present.

I am taking Quantum mechanics, introduction to astrophysics, and a seminar class... I need a topic for a 30-40 minute presentation for each class, and was wondering if there are any interesting topics that tie QM and astro together... thus, one presentation that I can do in all three classes.

I am welcome to any and all ideas!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
cross sections.. advances in particle accelerator physics drive our understanding of stellar evolution. Or more simply, sunlight depends on quantum tunneling..

Interesting... thanks for the input!

Doing three presentations on one topic will make my life a lot less stressful! I am open to any topics you guys can come up with!

Last edited:
speaking of collisions - how 'bout ionisation loss?

A clear application would be to study the energy loss of fast-moving particles in high energy collision (eg. a high speed electron moving through a hydrogen cloud). The collision parameters involved vary from the quantum regime to the semiclassical - all with relativity mixed in.

This isn't so new, but interesting none-the-less. There's some math, but not out of reach.

I wouldn't be intimidated by most math...

I've had math through a second partial differential equations class... if it is beyond that, then, I suppose I could be intimidated!

No, just some integrals and inserting a whole assortment of estimates from various theories.

Look up books on high energy astrophysics.

Good luck.

Seminar

Maybe solve Shrodenger's equ. for "particle in a sphere" and compare this to Emden's eqn. ( when polytropic index = 2 ). The eqns. are practically identitical hence an interesting seminar.

1. What is the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics?

The intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics is the study of how the principles of quantum mechanics apply to the behavior and phenomena observed in the field of astrophysics. It is the study of the smallest particles and their interactions in the vastness of the universe.

2. How does quantum mechanics play a role in astrophysics?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in astrophysics as it helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, which are essential for understanding the properties of celestial objects. It also helps explain the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

3. What are some examples of how quantum mechanics and astrophysics intersect?

Some examples of the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics include the study of black holes, the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as neutron stars, and the formation of elements in the early universe through nuclear fusion.

4. What are some current research topics in this intersection?

Current research topics in the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics include studying the effects of quantum mechanics on the formation and evolution of galaxies, investigating the role of quantum entanglement in black holes, and exploring the possibility of using quantum technologies to study the universe.

5. How does understanding this intersection benefit our understanding of the universe?

Understanding the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It can also help us make more accurate predictions and observations about the behavior of celestial objects, which can lead to advancements in technology and space exploration.