Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure

In summary, the Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure is a method for faster than light data transfer that was thought of before.
captainmack
I had thought up this situation where faster than light data transfer could occur, which turn out to have been thought of before. It is something called the Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser

"...Even more surprising was that, if you somehow "erase" the which-path information, the interference pattern reappears! And, perhaps most provocative of all, you can delay the "choice" to "erase" or "observe" the which-path information and still restore the interference pattern, even after the original photon has been "observed" at the primary detector!..."

When they say reappears, what exactly do they mean? Surely they cannot mean that the pattern rearranges itself right before your eyes? If it somehow were to rearrange itself instantly, this would be faster than light data transfer. You would instantly know whether the user at the other end had erased or read the which-path information. That would be data transfered.

But I don't think the interference pattern instantly reappears, and that is where I think this will not work. But where am I wrong?

I am a high school kid who has never taken calculous, or a full physics class, so if it is something obvious, I apologize

And by the way: hello everyone, I'm new here

Physics news on Phys.org
See this thread on the same subject which was posted just a few days ago. The interference pattern is only observed when you correlate one set of photons with the other, just looking at one set of photons on their own you won't see an interference pattern no matter what happens to their entangled "siblings".

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I didnt search, i didnt know it was a common question.

I will definitely read that thread

Well, I wouldn't say that delayed-choice experiments are a common subject here. It just happened that there was a discussion a little while ago. I can't remember any previous discussion, so if there was any it must have been quite a while ago.

Still, it's a good idea to try a search if there are easily identifiable keywords. You usually get better results than the forum's own search feature, by using Google and restricting the search to this site by using the "site:" operator. For example, you could search on

delayed choice site:www.physicsforums.com

Hmmm, that actually turns up a fair number of hits! :smile:

1. What is Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure?

Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that explores the concept of measurement affecting the behavior of particles. It suggests that the way we choose to observe or measure a particle can influence its behavior, even after the measurement has been made.

2. How does Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure work?

In the experiment, a pair of entangled particles are created and separated. One particle is sent through a double-slit apparatus, while the other is kept in a detector. Depending on the setup, the particle in the double-slit apparatus may exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. However, when the detector is activated, the particle in the double-slit apparatus will behave only as a particle. This suggests that the act of measurement or observation can determine the behavior of the particle.

3. What is the significance of Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure?

The experiment challenges the traditional understanding of causality in quantum mechanics. It suggests that the future can influence the past, and that the observer plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles. This has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the universe.

4. Has Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure been experimentally verified?

Yes, the experiment has been successfully carried out multiple times, with results consistent with the predictions of quantum mechanics. However, there is still ongoing debate and research about the implications and interpretation of these results.

5. How does Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure relate to other quantum mechanics concepts?

Delayed Choice Quantum Erasure is often discussed in connection with other concepts such as the observer effect, entanglement, and the wave-particle duality of particles. It also has implications for the concept of superposition and the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.