How Can Trigonometry Determine the Path of Light in a Complex Geometric Diagram?

• Thread starter Kafter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with calculating the path length of a beam of light reflecting off a rectangle and right-angled triangle. The person is looking for help and others offer solutions involving the Pythagorean Theorem and reflecting the ending point. The person expresses their gratitude and mentions needing the lengths of a and b to solve the problem.
Kafter
OK, my current project is one involving some wuite complex acoustics, all of which I'm starting to grasp but am stumped by seemingly simple trigonometry!? Perhaps someone can help me?...

Draw a rectangle (longest sides top and bottom) with a right-angled triangle underneath it (longest side touching the rectangle (same length) and the other side on the right). Now if there were a beam of light, say, originating at the bottom left hand corner of this diagram aimed to the top line and reflected back so that it ends up at the bottom right-hand point, given that the lengths of all sidse of this quadrangle are known, how can one figure out this path length?

At first I thought I needed more information; but because the angle of incidence = the angle of reflection, there can be only one point where the beam is reflected in order for it's origin and ultimate points to be as given, therefore I assume there is a way of calculating where that point is, and using that, the path length required.

This has been boggling mr for a while so any help is greatly appreciated :D

Kafter

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you have something that looks like this?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

cookiemonster

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 341
close...
________C____________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
A |
|
|
|
|
B

Something more like this but with a hypotenuse between A and B. The path I'm trying to figure out is A to B via C when C is only positioned by the laws of reflection and I have no actual figures determining where it is? Does this make more sense? :D

Sorry, the thread doesn't seem to like my picture, I'll try and attach, stand by

Ok, quick paint sketch may sort this out...

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 451
Sure, that can be done.

Let's reflect the ending point (call it B, and the beginning point A) about the line x. Now the line connecting A and B is straight, so we have a right triangle. The vertical side has length z + y, and the horizontal side has length x. The Pythagorean Theorem does the rest.

cookiemonster

forgive me, but I do not understand your solution...the angle at the reflection point (where a and b coincide with line x) is not necessarily 90 degrees as it looks. Are you assuming the the point of reflection is half-way along line x thus enabling a tringle of (z+y, a+b (hypotenuse), x)? Perhaps another sketch may help me?

How about this.

cookiemonster

Attachments

• diagram2.jpg
    diagram2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 397
Thanks so much! I knew the answer was staring at me, but I guess my brain's been fuddled too much to actually see it! lol Thanks again, I see the derivation now - much appreciated :D You truly are the Cookie Monster ;-)

All I got to do know is get a and b's individual lengths and I'm home free!

Last edited:

1. What does "seemingly simple" mean?

Seemingly simple refers to something that appears to be easy or straightforward at first glance, but may actually be more complex than it appears.

2. Why is it important to study seemingly simple things?

Studying seemingly simple things can often lead to breakthroughs and new discoveries in science. Many complex systems or phenomena can be broken down into simpler components, making them easier to understand and manipulate.

3. Can seemingly simple things be deceptive?

Yes, seemingly simple things can be deceptive. They may have hidden complexities or unexpected consequences that are not immediately apparent.

4. How can studying seemingly simple things be challenging?

Studying seemingly simple things can be challenging because they often require a deep understanding of fundamental principles and a keen attention to detail. It can also be difficult to identify and account for all potential variables and factors that may affect the simple concept being studied.

5. What are some examples of seemingly simple things in science?

Some examples of seemingly simple things in science include gravity, friction, and the laws of motion. These concepts may seem basic, but they have complex underlying mechanisms and can have a significant impact on our understanding of the physical world.