What Happens to pH When H3PO4 is Mixed with NaOH?

• Thread starter CaptainZappo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses the pH of a solution created by mixing 100.0 mL of 0.10 M H3PO4 with 200.0 mL of 0.15 M NaOH. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and equilibrium constant expressions are relevant to solving this problem. The poster initially calculated a pH of 12.82, but this answer was marked incorrect. They then asked for insight into the situation and suggested rephrasing the question. The final question asks for the pH of a solution containing 0.01 moles Na3PO4 in 300 mL of water.
CaptainZappo

Homework Statement

What is the pH of the resulting solution when 100.0 mL of 0.10 M H3PO4 is mixed with 200.0 mL of 0.15 M NaOH?

Homework Equations

Henderson-Hasselbalch, equilibrium constant expressions

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought about this question for over an hour, yet I have still gotten nowhere. I eventually came to the conclusion that the excess number of moles of OH- will dominate. Based on this conclusion, I calculated a pH of 12.82. However, this answer was marked wrong.

Can anyone lend some insight into this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the number of equivalents of H+ that can be produced by 100 mL of 0.1 M H3PO4. Calculate the number of moles of OH- in 200 mL of 0.15 M NaOH.

The reaction is:

H+ + OH- -------> H2O

It looks like the same question as "What is the pH of a solution of 0.01 moles Na3PO4 in 300 mL water?"

Let me rephrase my original post. How many potential moles of protons can be generated by 0.100 L of of 0.1 moles/liter of H3PO4? Compare this to the number of available moles of OH-.

After that, consider answering the question, "What is the pH of a solution of 0.01 moles Na3PO4 in 300 mL water?"

1. What is the pH of a solution containing H3PO4 mixed with NaOH?

The pH of a solution containing H3PO4 mixed with NaOH will depend on the concentration of each component. H3PO4 is a weak acid and NaOH is a strong base, so the resulting pH will be basic. The exact pH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

2. How does the pH change when adding NaOH to H3PO4?

As more NaOH is added to a solution of H3PO4, the pH will increase due to the neutralization reaction between the acid and base. This is because NaOH is a strong base and will react completely with the weak acid H3PO4, resulting in a more basic solution.

3. What happens to the pH if the ratio of H3PO4 to NaOH is changed?

The ratio of H3PO4 to NaOH will affect the final pH of the solution. A higher ratio of H3PO4 to NaOH will result in a lower pH, while a lower ratio will result in a higher pH. This is because there will be more acid or base present to react with the opposite component.

4. How does the pH of H3PO4 mixed with NaOH compare to the pH of H3PO4 alone?

The pH of H3PO4 mixed with NaOH will be higher than the pH of H3PO4 alone. This is because the addition of a strong base, NaOH, will neutralize the weak acid H3PO4, resulting in a more basic solution.

5. Is the pH of H3PO4 mixed with NaOH affected by temperature?

The pH of H3PO4 mixed with NaOH is not significantly affected by temperature. However, extreme temperatures can cause changes in the dissociation of H3PO4 and NaOH, which can ultimately affect the pH of the solution.