Geographic information systems

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining a certification in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) through the geography program. The speaker is unsure about what GIS is and its uses, but is interested in learning more. They are also concerned about fitting the course into their already busy schedule. One participant mentions using GIS in their PhD program and highlights its broad range of applications in fields such as urban planning and mining. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their intention to take a GIS course in the fall.
Bitter
I was hoping I could get some advice from planners or people who work with GIS(Geographic information systems.)

My advisor and I had a meeting a few days ago and he suggested that I obtain a certifciation of GIS through the geography program. I'm not exactly sure what GIS is and how it is used, but I would like to know more. I've asked around but the people who do know what it is at my campus are at a conference until thursday. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I had to pick my classes by Thursday. If I decide to get a GIS, I'm doomed to more 18-21 hour semsters until I graduate. Although I can handle the course work, I want to know how much it benefits me in the long run.

Physics news on Phys.org
I use a lot of GIS in my phd in mathematical geology. It's such a broad ranging topic. Can be used from urban planning to exploration targeting for mining companies (which is more the kind of thing I do). It's certainly a very helpful skill to have, and knowledge of at least one of the major GIS packages is something that will hold you in high regard with many potential employers in the future :smile:

Awesome, thank you for your reply. It looks like come the fall, i'll be taking my first gis course.

What is a geographic information system?

A geographic information system (GIS) is a computer-based system used for capturing, storing, analyzing, and displaying geographic data. It allows users to visualize and understand data in a geographic context, making it useful for a wide range of applications.

What is the difference between GIS and GPS?

GIS and GPS are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different technologies. GIS is a computer-based system used for managing and analyzing geographic data, while GPS (Global Positioning System) is a satellite-based navigation system used for determining precise location.

What are some common uses of GIS?

GIS is used in a variety of fields and industries, including urban planning, natural resource management, transportation, emergency management, and public health. It can be used for tasks such as mapping, spatial analysis, and data management.

What skills are required to work with GIS?

Proficiency in GIS requires a combination of technical skills (such as using GIS software and programming languages) and knowledge of geography, cartography, and data analysis. Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also important for effectively using GIS.

What is the future of GIS?

The future of GIS is constantly evolving, with new technologies and applications emerging all the time. Some trends to watch out for include the integration of GIS with other technologies such as remote sensing and artificial intelligence, as well as the increasing use of GIS in mobile and web-based platforms.