How to Make a Self-Starting Motor with Basic Materials

• Thread starter LAdidadida
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the conversation is about building a simple motor using basic materials, similar to one found on the Exploratorium website. However, the motor is not self-starting and the person is seeking suggestions on how to make it self-start reliably. Some suggestions include positioning the coil at the beginning of the power cycle and increasing its mass, or using switching commutators for alternating attraction. It should be noted that the design of the motor originally requires a push to start.
LAdidadida
I'm building a simple motor out of basic materials and at the moment its very similar to this one:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/stripped_down_motor.html

However it won't start unless I give it an initial push. One of the criteria I need to fulfill is that it needs to self-start.

Suggestions on how I might make the motor self-start, reliably as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
All that I can think of for that particular type of motor would be to make sure that the coil is positioned at the very beginning of the 'power on' cycle so it will be attracted to the magnets right away. It still might not have enough momentum to carry through to the next cycle, though. Maybe increasing the mass of the coil would help...
Do keep in mind, though, that the write-up for the design calls for a push to get it going. It isn't intended to be self-starting.
Aside from that stuff, you might have to use switching commutators instead so you have alternating attraction during each half of the cycle.

There are a few possible solutions to make your motor self-starting. One option is to add a capacitor to your circuit, which can store electrical energy and provide a burst of power to kickstart the motor. Another option is to use a permanent magnet instead of an electromagnet, as this can create a stronger magnetic field and make it easier for the motor to start on its own. Additionally, you could try using a different type of battery or power source with higher voltage or current output, which can also help with self-starting.

Another important factor to consider is the alignment and balance of the motor's components. If the rotor and stator are not properly aligned, it can create resistance and make it difficult for the motor to start. Make sure the rotor is centered and balanced within the stator, and that the brushes are making good contact with the commutator.

You may also want to experiment with the size and shape of your motor's components. A larger or differently shaped rotor and stator can affect the motor's starting capabilities. Additionally, using stronger or lighter materials for the components can also make a difference.

Overall, the key to making a self-starting motor is to optimize the design and components for efficiency and power. With some experimentation and adjustments, you should be able to achieve a reliable self-starting motor with basic materials. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I make a self-starting motor with basic materials?

Making a self-starting motor with basic materials is a relatively simple process. First, you will need a battery, copper wire, a magnet, and a small piece of metal. Begin by creating a coil with the copper wire by wrapping it around a cylindrical object such as a pencil. Next, attach one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the metal piece. Place the magnet near the coil, and your self-starting motor should begin to spin.

2. What type of battery should I use for a self-starting motor?

A regular AA or AAA battery is sufficient for creating a self-starting motor. However, you may also use a small 9-volt battery for a stronger motor.

3. Can I use any type of metal for the motor?

For the metal piece that connects to the battery, it is best to use a conductive material such as copper or aluminum. This will allow the electricity to flow through the wire and create a magnetic field. You may also use a small nail or paperclip for this part.

4. How can I make my self-starting motor spin faster?

To increase the speed of your self-starting motor, you can add more coils to the wire or use a stronger magnet. You may also try using a larger battery, but be careful not to overload the motor and cause it to overheat.

5. Is it possible to make a self-starting motor without a battery?

Yes, it is possible to create a self-starting motor without a battery by using a hand-cranked generator. Instead of connecting the wire to a battery, connect it to the generator and turn the crank to create electricity and power the motor.