Solid state - crystallisation energy, stuck

In summary, the question asks for a lower bound for the modulus of the crystallisation energy of Li+F-, based on the given values for the ionisation energy of Li and the electron affinity of F. The equation provided is not applicable in this situation, and there is uncertainty regarding the values for charges and radius. The cohesive energy may be used to approximate the crystallisation energy, but it is unclear if it is constant for all molecules. Asking for someone to solve the question may be against the guidelines.
kel

Homework Statement

The ionisation energy of Li is 5.39eV and the electron affinity of F is 3.40eV. Give a lower bound for the modulus of the crystallisation energy of Li+F-

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure of the equation to use, but have this one in my notes:

U = - (q1q2/r(1,2)) . alpha . (1 / 4Pi E)

where E is the permeability of free space (I believe)

Though this may be the electro-potential formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really attempted this to any meaningful degree, the problem is that I don't know how I can work this out when I'm not given a value for r (presumably the radius between atoms or ions??) nor am I sure what values I'm supposed to use for the charges q1 and q2.

I don't expect anyone to solve this for me, but if you could clarify what you think I need to do to work this out I'd be greatful. My lecturer is great on giving derivations and formulas, but never seems to explain things very well.

Cheers
Kel

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definitions needed to understand the question?
What is the meaning of the word affinity?
What is the ionisation energy?
What is the crystallisation energy?
Also, what is the question, why asking for a "lower bound", what do you think?
If you were asked not for a lower bound but for a good approximation of the crystallisation energy, how could you do it?

ok, from my notes there is an example using sodium chloride

which gives the energy as

E = 7.9 (cohesive energy) - 5.1(ionisation energy) +3.6 (electron affinity)
= 6.4ev

What I want to know is, is the cohesive energy generally the same for all molecules? if so, then I can use the same sort of equation to answer the question.

Otherwise, my answer would only be

E = 5.39 - 3.40
= 1.99 eV

Cheers
Kel

If this is Biaggio's Assessed sheet 6, I don't think you are supposed to ask for other people to do the question for you!

1. What is solid state?

Solid state refers to the physical state of matter in which particles are closely packed together and have a fixed shape and volume.

2. What is crystallisation energy?

Crystallisation energy is the amount of energy released or absorbed when a substance transitions from a liquid or gas state to a solid crystalline state.

3. How does crystallisation energy affect solid state?

Crystallisation energy plays a crucial role in determining the stability and properties of the solid state. Higher crystallisation energy leads to a more stable and organized solid structure.

4. What causes a substance to get stuck in the solid state?

A substance may get stuck in the solid state due to various factors such as low temperature, lack of energy, or strong intermolecular forces that prevent the particles from moving and transitioning into a liquid or gas state.

5. How can we control the solid state of a substance?

The solid state of a substance can be controlled by manipulating external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, adding impurities or changing the cooling rate can influence the crystallisation energy and affect the resulting solid state.