Nuclear Isospin: Questions on u & d Quarks and Proton & Neutron

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isospin
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of nuclear isospin and the behavior of u and d quarks in relation to isospin. It is explained that angular momentum does not add up linearly and that the proton, which contains three quarks, has a spin of 1/2. The concept of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is also mentioned as a way to calculate this behavior. It is also clarified that the anti-neutron and anti-proton have the same isospin values as their respective particles.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi you guys!

I am a little bit confused about nuclear isospin.

u and d quarks have I = ½

u has I_3 = ½ , d has I_3 = -½ (third component)

right so far?

Now why does the proton have I = ½ and I_3 = 1/2, and
neutron I = ½ and I_3 = -1/2 ??

but when you add upp the I on the quark level , you might get things like 3/2 etc, has that something to do with the strong intreaction?

And how do one assign I and I_3 to p-bar and n-bar? [anti-proton, anti-neutron]

please help dear Nuclear and Particle lovers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
Hi you guys!

I am a little bit confused about nuclear isospin.

u and d quarks have I = ½

u has I_3 = ½ , d has I_3 = -½ (third component)

right so far?

Now why does the proton have I = ½ and I_3 = 1/2, and
neutron I = ½ and I_3 = -1/2 ??

but when you add upp the I on the quark level , you might get things like 3/2 etc, has that something to do with the strong intreaction?

And how do one assign I and I_3 to p-bar and n-bar? [anti-proton, anti-neutron]

please help dear Nuclear and Particle lovers :)

AHH, this is a classic one. The answer goes like this :

Angular momentum doesn't add up linearly, as you were suggesting to do. That is, a proton contains three quarks, but its spin is not 3/2, but 1/2. When you add angular momentum, you have a range of possible results, which goes from the maximum (the arithmetic sum) down to the minimum (the larger minus the smaller) with possible values at unit steps in between.

If you add two spin-1/2 fermions, you get either spin 0 or spin 1 (a boson). If you add 5 units of angular momentum to 2 units, you get 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 units of angular momentum. If you add 3/2 units and 2 units, you get 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, or 7/2 units. A proton has spin 1/2. As you should expect, there's another particle with the same quark content as the proton, but spin 3/2, the Δ+.

In QM, one can calculate all of this using the Clebsch Gordon coefficients. Do you know this technique ? If not, THIS is what you need to be studying then.

marlon

aha ok its "just" vector summation?

This is overcourse right now :) I will have courses in advanced QM in the autuum =) thanks!

malawi_glenn said:
aha ok its "just" vector summation?
No, this is slightly more elaborated :smile:
Something like "Decomposition in a direct sum of a tensor product of irreductible representations of Lie groups"
It is actually not as complicated as it might seem. You can check wikipedia about Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

humanino said:
No, this is slightly more elaborated :smile:
Something like "Decomposition in a direct sum of a tensor product of irreductible representations of Lie groups"
It is actually not as complicated as it might seem. You can check wikipedia about Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

hehe ****! =)

So does the anti-neutron have I = 1/2 and I_3 = 1/2
and anti-proton have I= 1/2 and I_3 = -1/2 ??

malawi_glenn said:
So does the anti-neutron have I = 1/2 and I_3 = 1/2
and anti-proton have I= 1/2 and I_3 = -1/2 ??

Sorry to raise a dead thread but I have the same question, I think that the answer is yes, but not sure. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's yes.

Last edited:

1. What is nuclear isospin?

Nuclear isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry properties of the nuclear force. It is related to the number of u and d quarks (up and down quarks) in a nucleus and helps to classify nucleons (protons and neutrons) into different energy levels.

2. How do u and d quarks affect nuclear isospin?

U and d quarks have different isospin values, with u quarks having an isospin of +1/2 and d quarks having an isospin of -1/2. The number of u and d quarks in a nucleus determines the total isospin value, which can range from 0 to 2.

3. How does nuclear isospin relate to the proton and neutron?

Protons and neutrons are the two types of nucleons that make up the nucleus of an atom. They have different isospin values, with protons having an isospin of +1/2 and neutrons having an isospin of -1/2. The total isospin of a nucleus is equal to the sum of its protons and neutrons.

4. What is the significance of nuclear isospin?

Nuclear isospin is an important concept in nuclear physics as it helps to explain the properties and behavior of nucleons in a nucleus. It also plays a role in determining the stability of a nucleus and the types of nuclear reactions that can occur.

5. Can nuclear isospin change?

Yes, nuclear isospin can change through certain nuclear reactions, such as beta decay or nuclear fission. This can result in the conversion of a proton into a neutron or vice versa, changing the isospin value of the nucleus.