Calculate Probability of Winning Head and Tails Game

• Thread starter haiha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Head
In summary, two men are playing a game where they flip a coin n times and add a point to their score for every head. The probabilities of a man winning or both having equal scores can be calculated using a Binomial distribution and can be approximated using a normal distribution. The probability of equal scores after n tosses is 1/\sqrt{n\pi}. The exact formula for the probability of equal scores is a non-trivial sum to compute.
haiha
I ve got this simple problem and I can can not find the solution.
Two men play head and tails. Each man flips the coin n times, every time he has head, he should add one point to his score. At the end, they compare the scores, whose score has more points , the man is the winner.
A is the probability of a man lose or win, B is the probability when the two have the same points. Calculate A and B?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you want to do is show us where you're stuck. As a hint, find the probability that person 1 rolls m heads, then find the probability that the other rolls more than m heads.

Thanks for your answering me
My way is to find the B value meaning the two are equal. So i tried to calculate the probabiltiy of 1st man to have m heads, then the 2nd also must have m heads, which is called Pm. Then I will sum up Pm with m running from 0 to n. But the formula is very long and i think there must be mistakes somewhere..
P0 = 1/2^(2n)
P1=2.n/2^2n
P2=..

Your sum is correct. Are you sure you have to actually evaluate the sum, or can you just leave your answer in terms of the sum?

This is not a trivial sum to compute.

- Warren

Last edited:
Can anyone find the general formula for Pm?, at least one that can be computed using a program.

"Pm" is simple -- it's a Binomial distribution:

[itex]
p \left( m \right) = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
n \\
m \\

\end{array} } \right)p^m \left( {1 - p} \right)^{n - m} = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
n \\
m \\

\end{array} } \right)2^{ - n}
[/itex]

where p is the probability of heads (1/2), n is the number of flips, and m is the number of heads.

Remember that the probability of both men getting m heads is actually [itex][p(m)]^2[/itex].

- Warren

Last edited:
So I can not calculate P0, when the two men both have no heads ?

Oh I m sorry, I thought (n/m) is a division!.

Last edited:
chroot said:
This is not a trivial sum to compute.

You can get an approximate answer by replacing the binomial distribution by a normal distribution. The pdf of the "two scores are equal" distribution is the square of the pdf of the normal distribution.

Since [tex](e^{-x^2})^2 = e^{-2x^2}[/tex] this is similar to a normal distribution so you can integrate it.

The approximate probability of equal scores after n tosses is [tex]1/\sqrt{n\pi}[/tex].

please explain me how do this

What is the formula for calculating probability in a head and tails game?

The formula for calculating probability in a head and tails game is: P(A) = # of favorable outcomes / # of possible outcomes. In this case, the favorable outcome is winning and the possible outcomes are either heads or tails.

What is the probability of winning in a head and tails game?

The probability of winning in a head and tails game is 50%, or 1/2. This is because there are only two possible outcomes, heads or tails, and each has an equal chance of occurring.

How can you increase your chances of winning in a head and tails game?

Unfortunately, there is no way to increase your chances of winning in a head and tails game. Since the outcome is determined by chance, there is no strategy or skill that can influence the result.

Is it possible to have a higher probability of winning if you play multiple rounds of a head and tails game?

No, playing multiple rounds of a head and tails game does not increase your chances of winning. Each round is an independent event, meaning the outcome of one round does not affect the outcome of the next round.

Are there any factors that can affect the probability of winning in a head and tails game?

No, the probability of winning in a head and tails game is not affected by any external factors. As long as the coin is fair and the game is played fairly, the probability remains the same for each round.