THAN programming - puzzle - learning aid

In summary, an old programming language based on an imaginary machine with two peripherals, a paper tape reader and a paper tape punch. The machine has only two characters, Asterisk and Hypen, and the CPU has 20 memory locations that hold instructions, but only the first 10 locations are addressable. There are only 13 instructions, and 4 basic types of instruction. T reads a character from the tape reader, H punches a hypen, A punches an asterisk, and 0 branches to a location 0 and continues execution there. 1 branches to location 1 and continues execution there, 2 branches to location 2 and continues execution there, and so on. Instruction execution can continue past memory location 9
rcgldr
Homework Helper
An extremely simple and old (1960's) programming language based on an imaginary machine. The machine has two peripherals, at paper tape reader, and a paper tape punch. The character set only includes two characters, Asterisk and Hypen. The CPU has 20 memory locations, which hold instructions, but only the first 10 locations, 0 through 9 are addressable via the branch instruction.

There are only 13 instructions, and 4 basic types of instruction:

T - Read a character from the tape reader. If the character read is a hyphen, execute next instruction. If the character read is an asterisk, skip the next instruction, and execute the instruction following the next instruction. If no character is read because the paper tape is past the end, then the machine will stop.

H - Punch a hypen, then execute next instruction.

A - Punch an asterisk, then execute next instruction.

0 - branch to location 0 and continue execution there.
1 - branch to location 1 and continue execution there.
2 - branch to location 2 and continue execution there.
9 - branch to location 9 and continue execution there.

Instruction execution can continue past memory location 9, but these memory locations can't be the target of a branch instruction.

Programming tasks:

1. Write a program to duplicate the paper tape in the reader using the paper tape punch.

2. Write a program to read the paper tape until 3 asterisks in a row are read, then start duplicating the paper tape as in program 1.

3. Write a program to read the paper tape until 3 asterisks in a row are read, then start duplicating the paper tape, but stop all I/O once 3 asterisks in a row are punched during the copy process.

Note that since there are only 13 instructions, trial and error will be good enough to write any of these programs.

To avoid spoilers, please white out your repsonse, or merely indicate that you've solved how to create programs 1, 2, and/or 3.

Sample program:

Code:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 X X X X X X X X X X
T H A 0

This program will punch a hyphen and asterisk for every hyphen read, and puch an asterisk for every asterisk read. It's a broken copy program that you'll fix with program assignment 1.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I've done 1 and 2... working on 3.

[spoilers]
2 H T 1 A 2

6 H T 1 A 2 T 6 T 6 T 6 2

[/spoilers]

As practice for 3, I'm trying to find the algorithm whose highest referenced memory location is lowest among algorithms that achieve the same thing.

Only one here taking the challenge so far? Note that this was a programming "puzzle" given to high school students just learning how to program.

Hah! Got 3 as well. That wasn't so hard after all.

[spoilers]
T 0 T 0 T 0 8 H T 7 A T 7 A T 7 A

[/spoilers]

That was a nice problem. I also wrote an interpreter for the language this morning, so I could fool around with it a bit. 'Twas fun.

Not quite, your program continues on after the last instruction, and there are only 4 types of instructions, so it will not stop all I/O. You're close though.

How are you supposed to stop all I/O? If running out of commands on the command tape isn't enough, then the best I can do is have it end in an infinite loop. Seems like a poor solution, though.

[spoilers]
T 0 T 0 T 0 9 7 H T 8 A T 8 A T 8 A 7

[/spoilers]

It may seem poor to you, but it's the correct solution, and part of the exercise, to realize that there is only one instruction that doesn't involve I/O and to use it for that purpose. It's a reasonably clever solution, demonstrating inovation, especially since it's targeted at students learning programming for the first time, although some experienced programmers have had difficulty with this problem.

I'm 55 years old now, and I received this problem in high school, back in 1968. I don't know when this problem was first developed.

Last edited:

1. What is "THAN programming"?

"THAN programming" is a form of programming that uses a puzzle-based approach to teach computer programming concepts. It is designed to be a fun and engaging way for beginners to learn the basics of coding.

2. How does "THAN programming" work?

The "THAN programming" method uses a series of puzzles and challenges to teach different programming concepts. Each puzzle presents a problem to solve and requires the use of coding skills to find a solution. As you progress through the puzzles, the difficulty level increases and new concepts are introduced.

3. Is "THAN programming" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "THAN programming" is suitable for all ages, although it is primarily designed for beginners and those with little to no programming experience. It can be a great learning aid for children and adults alike, as it teaches coding concepts in a fun and interactive way.

4. What programming languages does "THAN programming" cover?

"THAN programming" covers a variety of programming languages, including Python, JavaScript, and Java. It also includes general coding concepts that can be applied to other programming languages.

5. Can "THAN programming" be used in a classroom setting?

Yes, "THAN programming" can be used in a classroom setting as a teaching tool. It can be a great way to introduce students to the world of coding and help them develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The puzzles can also be used as a fun activity during coding lessons.