Pros and Cons of getting an Iphone

• Thread starter debayan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iphone
In summary, the iPhone is a new phone that is coming out that uses 3G technology. It is bulky and you have to pay lots of money to be a beta tester. The battery is soldered to the motherboard and it's not very user friendly. There are also a lot of bugs in the phone.
debayan
has anyone used it? what are the pros and cons.

Computer science news on Phys.org
debayan said:
has anyone used it? what are the pros and cons.

it's ok,,,,

Apple engineers are currently working on "iPhone 2.0" that will use 3G technology and so many fixes that will come as a result of many bugs in the current version. Anyone that buys the current version is effectively paying hundreds of dollars to be a beta tester. The calling plans are also outrageous, not to mention that is pretty damn bulky for a phone. And common, 4GB and 8GB is no kind of space...But I definitely can't wait to read some customer reviews.

If you want an iphone, wait for 2.0.

Last edited:
I don't know if these are planned fixes, but you cannot use mp3's on the phone for ring tones, there is no copy or paste, the browser does not support flash and 60% of sites out there use flash, you cannot change the SIM card and you're stuck with att's slowest network, it has a special audio jack so you can't use just any head phones with it, the battery is soldered to the motherboard, also you have to activate it with iTunes! what's with that?! There is still more btw.

Not to mention the absence of a keyboard. Imagine tapping your way through an email :yuck: I also heard there's a two year contract with att and $175 termination fee! And there isn't a variant of firefox; it uses safari instead. But the internet experince is going to be degraded because of the lack of java and flash.

It sounds like an expensive toy to me. I was in the Apple Store in Chicago, but all the iPhones were being played with already, so I didn't get to see what the fuss was really about. I suspect, as ranger mentioned, that trying to use a touch screen to type would be highly annoying...especially if you have large fingers. Is it only a touch screen, or can you use a stylus with it? I haven't seen anything about a stylus. That would be a big disadvantage if you HAVE to use it as a touch screen, especially if it's winter and you're out in the street trying to make a call and are all bundled up with gloves you don't want to take off, or if you just have big fingers. It looks really uncomfortably sized to use as a phone too.

Being stuck with an AT&T plan would suck too. This just doesn't sound like an appealing product to me. Are they actually selling, or are people just going to the stores to play with them and not buy? I guess there are a lot of gadget-freaks out there who will buy anything shiny and new, but I just can't see this one catching on with the more typical buyer. I could be really wrong, because there are other things I don't understand why people go ga-ga over them, but I just don't see the appeal to this one.

ranger said:
Not to mention the absence of a keyboard. Imagine tapping your way through an email :yuck: I also heard there's a two year contract with att and $175 termination fee! And there isn't a variant of firefox; it uses safari instead. But the internet experince is going to be degraded because of the lack of java and flash.
And the battery is soldered to the phone. It will only take 300-400 recharges. To replace the battery, you have to send the entire phone back to Apple and you're supposed to get it back within 3 business days. Cost to replace battery is $79.95 plus $6.95 S&H. And if you want a replacement loaner, it's $29.99 per day.

Not to mention AT&T has the oldest, slowest cellular network in the US. They must have paid Apple a fortune for the rights to the phone.

I got an e-mail from a client and it was gibberish. The banner below proudly stated "sent from my iphone" :rofl:

Tony11235 said:
the browser does not support flash and 60% of sites out there use flash
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recently saw a TV show in which they showed that YouTube's mobile version is supported by iPhone. Doesn't YT require Flash?

It's absolutely mind-boggling how many people waiting in line and climbed all over one another to shuck out $500-600 for such a crippled mini-PC/phone with such a confining plan. Talk about "bleeding edge" technology. A year from now, this irrational feeding frenzy will rival the "pet rock" craze for consumer idiocy. I wonder how many iPhone owners have paid a "Star Name Registry" to name some mag 10 star after their spouse or parent or child?

neutrino said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recently saw a TV show in which they showed that YouTube's mobile version is supported by iPhone. Doesn't YT require Flash?
- They have a special application for showing YT videos, and it only shows the ones that've been converted to the supported format (that is, not .flv)

ranger said:
Apple engineers are currently working on "iPhone 2.0" that will use 3G technology and so many fixes that will come as a result of many bugs in the current version. Anyone that buys the current version is effectively paying hundreds of dollars to be a beta tester. The calling plans are also outrageous, not to mention that is pretty damn bulky for a phone. And common, 4GB and 8GB is no kind of space...

But I definitely can't wait to read some customer reviews.

If you want an iphone, wait for 2.0.
It's getting terrible reviews on CNET, user overall rating of only 6.3 out of 10. I have a friend that has one and he just plays with it like it's a toy, he just loves new gadgets. I guess it's ok as a toy.

I actually got to use one the other day at the i store. I didnt care for it, but it was at least an interesting thing. The touchscreen is actually a lot better then I had expected but I still had some trouble with hitting multiple letters on the keyboard.(I don't think it would be possible to use it with gloves.) The internet was pretty good on it, but it took 10 times longer to browse due to the difficulty in navigation and having to constantly zoom in and out. Those were really the only 2 features I messed with but it seemed ok. Not worth the price though.

The lack of support for java is really what ruins it for me - just think of all the cool things you miss out on, gaming console/handhelds emulators for example

I don't know mach abt it But its avlbl 4 RS 30000 in black market:approve::bugeye:

neutrino said:

Yes. But your question was already answered.

In my opinion this iphone is only to make money. After few mounths another phone will come out and same story will repeat... Really donno why was in USA such rush for 1 phone :s ?

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the pros of getting an iPhone?

Some of the pros of getting an iPhone include its sleek design, user-friendly interface, and high-quality camera. It also has a wide range of apps available and is known for its strong security features.

What are the cons of getting an iPhone?

One of the main cons of getting an iPhone is its high price point compared to other smartphones. It also has limited customization options and a closed operating system that may not be suitable for all users.

Is an iPhone worth the cost?

This ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences. If you value a high-quality camera, user-friendly interface, and strong security features, then an iPhone may be worth the cost. However, if you are on a budget or prefer more customization options, then it may not be worth the cost for you.

Can I transfer my data from an Android to an iPhone?

Yes, it is possible to transfer data from an Android to an iPhone. There are various apps and methods available to help with this process, such as Google Drive or iCloud. However, not all data may transfer successfully, so it's important to do thorough research and backups beforehand.

How often do iPhones need to be upgraded?

There is no set timeframe for when an iPhone needs to be upgraded. It ultimately depends on the individual's usage and preferences. Some users may upgrade every year, while others may wait several years before upgrading. It's important to consider the condition and performance of your current phone before deciding to upgrade.