Compound Interest: Grow $1000 to $1500 in 5 Years?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the rate of interest compounded quarterly needed for an initial investment of $1000 to grow to $1500 in 5 years. The conversation mentions using logarithms and taking the 20th root to solve the problem. However, it is also noted that there are other methods and tools that can be used to find the solution.
kuahji
At what rate of interest compounded quarterly, to the nearest tenth of a percent, will an investment of $1000 grow to $1500 in 5 years?

I set the problem up 1500=1000(1+x/4)^(4*5)

I then divided by 1000

1.5 = (1+x/4)^20

But this is where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that's a twentieth degree polynomial.

Just take the 20th root of both sides.

Use a logarithm. Get a numerical answer for log(1+x/4). Then exponentiate.

Thanks for the replies, I ended up trying that & got

ln 1.5 = 20 ln (1+x/4)

ln1.5/20 = ln (1+x/4)

1+x/4 = e^.02027

x/4 = .02048

x = .08191 or 8.2%

What kept throwing me off was I kept getting the wrong answer because I kept dividing by four. After doing so many of these problems in a row, thought I was getting confused w/what could be done & couldn't be done regarding logarithms. Thanks again for the help.

[tex]^{20}\sqrt{1.5}=1+x/4 \mbox{ so that } 4^{20}\sqrt{1.5}-4=x[/tex]

In fact, that's how you can set up a general formula for nominal interest rates.

Last edited:
ZioX said:
[tex]^{20}\sqrt{1.5}=1+x/4 \mbox{ so that } 4^{20}\sqrt{1.5}-4=x[/tex]

Yes, it's the same thing.

Only because you went around and made exp(.02027)=1.5^(1/20) which was an unnecessary step.

I'm not being adversarial, but the OP should know that there are more tools to use.

Last edited:
Thats pretty interesting, I'm in the logarithm section in pre-calc, so that's why they were used. Good to know that there are other ways to solve the problem as well.

ZioX said:
Only because you went around and made exp(.02027)=1.5^(1/20) which was an unnecessary step.

I'm not being adversarial, but the OP should know that there are more tools to use.

I'm not disagreeing. The method using logarithms simply dates from an age when taking a twentieth root wasn't an easy thing. The logs are one way to accomplish that (by turning the root into division).

I just took an actuarial course a couple of semesters ago, and they were able to generate a general formula for variable compounding periods. It utilized mth roots, hence my bias towards them.

What is compound interest?

Compound interest is the interest earned on both the initial principal and the accumulated interest in an investment. This means that as your investment grows, the interest earned also increases, creating a snowball effect over time.

How does compound interest work?

Compound interest works by adding the interest earned to the principal amount, creating a new, higher principal for the next interest calculation. This process continues over time, resulting in exponential growth of the initial investment.

What is the formula for calculating compound interest?

The formula for calculating compound interest is A = P(1+r/n)^nt, where A is the final amount, P is the principal, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of compounding periods per year, and t is the number of years.

What is the difference between compound interest and simple interest?

The main difference between compound interest and simple interest is that simple interest is only calculated on the initial principal amount, while compound interest takes into account the accumulated interest over time. This means that compound interest will result in a higher return on investment compared to simple interest.

How can I use compound interest to grow my investment from $1000 to $1500 in 5 years?

To grow your investment from $1000 to $1500 in 5 years using compound interest, you would need to find an investment with a high annual interest rate and frequent compounding periods. This will allow your investment to grow at a faster rate, resulting in a higher return on investment in a shorter period of time.