Skew-symmetric matrices problem ?

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that two matrices display the property of skew-symmetry. The defining property of a skew-symmetric matrix is transpose(A)=-A, and the example of A=[[0,1],[-1,0]] and B=transpose(A)=[[0,-1],[1,0]] is given to demonstrate this. However, it is noted that AB is not equal to -BA, unless AB=0. The conversation then shifts to discussing the question of multiplying two matrices to get a skew-symmetry matrix and providing an example of A=[[-1,-1,0],[0,1,1],[-1,0,1]] and B=[[0,1,0],[0,0
ngkamsengpeter

Homework Statement

Give an example of two skew-symmetric matrices. Show explicitly that they display the property of skew-symmetry, ie, AB = -BA

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

transpose of (AB) = BA
I just can show that AB=BA but can't show AB=-BA .
Is it (-A)(-B)=AB ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The defining property of a skew-symmetric matrix is transpose(A)=-A. So yes, transpose(AB)=(-B)*(-A)=BA. Beyond that I simply don't follow you. A=[[0,1],[-1,0]]. B=transpose(A)=[[0,-1],[1,0]]. AB=1=BA. AB is not equal to -BA. AB=-BA is property of anticommuting matrices.

Last edited:
Since AB=BA, AB can't be -BA unless AB = 0

chanvincent said:
Since AB=BA, AB can't be -BA unless AB = 0
Nonsense. Multiplication of matrices is NOT in general commutative.

I think i have misunderstood the questions. My lecturer say the question is we multiply any 2 matrices to get a skew-symmetry matrix AB . Then show that AB=-BA . But i simply can't show it .
I even don't know how to give 2 matrices where the product of these 2 matrices is skew-symmetry matrix .
I know i can use try but i think that is not a good and standard technique .
Anybody has any idea on this question?

A=[[-1,-1,0],[0,1,1],[-1,0,1]], B=[[0,1,0],[0,0,1],[1,0,0]].

AB is skew symmetric. AB is not equal to -BA. No wonder you can't show it. Do you mean to add the assumption A and B are symmetric?

1. What is a skew-symmetric matrix?

A skew-symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements above the main diagonal are the negative of the elements below the main diagonal. In other words, if the element at row i and column j is a, then the element at row j and column i is -a.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is skew-symmetric?

To determine if a matrix is skew-symmetric, you can check if it is equal to the negative of its transpose. This means that if matrix A is skew-symmetric, then A = -A^T.

3. What are the properties of skew-symmetric matrices?

Skew-symmetric matrices have the following properties:

• The main diagonal of a skew-symmetric matrix is made up of zeros.
  • The sum of a skew-symmetric matrix and its transpose is a zero matrix.
  • The determinant of a skew-symmetric matrix is either 0 or a negative value.
  • The eigenvalues of a skew-symmetric matrix are either 0 or purely imaginary.

4. How are skew-symmetric matrices used in science and engineering?

Skew-symmetric matrices are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and magnetic fields. They also play a role in solving systems of linear equations and differential equations.

5. How do you solve problems involving skew-symmetric matrices?

To solve problems involving skew-symmetric matrices, you can use methods such as Gaussian elimination, eigenvalue decomposition, or diagonalization. It is also important to understand the properties of skew-symmetric matrices and use them to simplify calculations. Additionally, using computer software such as MATLAB can make solving these problems easier and more efficient.