Uniform continuity and derivatives

In summary, the theorem states that a function f is uniformly continuous on an interval I if it is continuous and has a bounded derivative on an open interval within I. This is proven by choosing a value M for which the derivative is bounded, and using the Mean Value Theorem to show that the function is uniformly continuous for any epsilon greater than 0.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1) f is some function who has a bounded derivative in (a,b). In other words, there's some M>0 so that |f'(x)|<M for all x in (a,b).
Prove that f is bounded in (a,b).
2) f has a bounded second derivative in (a,b), prove that f in uniformly continues in (a,b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) For all x in (a,b), (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a) = f'(c) =>
|f(x)-f(a)| = |f'(c)||x-a| =< M|b-a| (c is in (a,x))
and so
f(a) - M|b-a| =< f(x) >= f(a) + M|b-a| and so f(x) is bounded in (a,b).

2)Using (1) we see that f'(x) is bounded in (a,b). So there's some M>0 so that |f'(x)|<=M. And so for all x,y in (a,b)
(f(x)-f(y))/(x-y) = f'(c) =< |M| and so
|f(x)-f(y)| =< |x-y|M and it's easy to see that f is UC in (a,b).

Did I do that right? It some what bothers me that in (1) I also could have proved that f is UC which is a stronger result than the fact that it's bounded the same way that I proved it in (2). Is that right? If so then why did they only ask to prove that it was bounded?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theorem: Let [tex]f[/tex] be continuous on a (possibly infinite) interval [tex]I[/tex]. Let [tex]J[/tex] be the open interval without the endpoints of [tex]I[/tex]. If [tex]f[/tex] is differentiable on [tex]J[/tex] and [tex]|f'|\leq M[/tex] then [tex]f[/tex] is uniformly continuous on [tex]I[/tex].

Proof:Chose [tex]M>0[/tex] so that [tex]|f'(x)|\leq M[/tex] for all [tex]x\in J[/tex]. For any [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex] choose [tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon }{M}[/tex].
Choose [tex]a<b[/tex] with [tex]b-a<\delta[/tex]. By Mean Value Theorem: [tex]\exists x \in (a,b)[/tex] so that [tex]f'(x) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex].
Thus,
[tex]|f(b)-f(a)| = |f'(x)||b-a|\leq M|b-a| < M\delta = M\cdot \frac{\epsilon}{M} = \epsilon[/tex].

-Wolfgang.

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity that requires a function to maintain a constant rate of change over a given interval. This means that the function must have a consistent slope and cannot have any abrupt changes in its behavior.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

While regular continuity only requires a function to be continuous at a specific point, uniform continuity ensures that the function remains continuous over the entire interval. This means that the function must have a similar behavior throughout the interval and cannot have any sudden jumps or breaks.

3. What are the conditions for a function to be uniformly continuous?

In order for a function to be uniformly continuous, it must satisfy two main conditions: 1) the function must be continuous over the given interval, and 2) the variation in the function's rate of change (slope) must be limited and cannot have any abrupt changes.

4. How is uniform continuity related to derivatives?

Uniform continuity and derivatives are closely related because a function that is uniformly continuous over a given interval will also have a derivative over that interval. This means that the function will have a consistent slope and will not have any sudden changes in its behavior, making it differentiable over that interval.

5. Can a function be uniformly continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be uniformly continuous but not differentiable. This can occur when the function has sharp corners or cusps, which create abrupt changes in the function's behavior and make it non-differentiable. However, if a function is uniformly continuous and differentiable, it must also be continuously differentiable, meaning that its derivative is also continuous.