Fourier transform formulation of the dirac delta

In summary, the Fourier transform formulation of the Dirac delta is a mathematical representation of the Dirac delta function in the frequency domain. It is defined as the limit of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian function and is essential in signal processing for the analysis and manipulation of signals in the frequency domain. It is also used in convolution to simplify calculations and can be applied to non-periodic signals for more efficient analysis and processing.
ehrenfest
I have seen two formulations of the dirac delta function with the Fourier transform. The one on wikipedia is
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^\infty 1 \cdot e^{-i 2\pi f t}\,dt = \delta(f) [/tex]

and the one in my textbook (Robinett) is

[tex] 1/2\pi \int_{-\infty}^\infty 1 \cdot e^{-i f t}\,dt = \delta(f) [/tex]

I do not understand how they are equivalent? How can you just take the 2pi out of the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a simple change of variable: if [itex]t'=2\pi t[/itex], then [itex]dt=dt'/2\pi[/itex].

The two formulations of the Dirac delta function using Fourier transform are indeed equivalent. The difference lies in the definition of the Fourier transform itself. In the first formulation, the Fourier transform is defined as:

F(f) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t) e^{-i 2\pi ft}\,dt

whereas in the second formulation, the Fourier transform is defined as:

F(f) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t) e^{-i ft}\,dt

The only difference between the two definitions is the factor of 2π in the exponent of the integrand. This factor is usually included in the definition of the Fourier transform to make it easier to work with in certain applications. However, mathematically, it is just a convention and does not affect the overall result.

To see how the two formulations are equivalent, we can rewrite the first formulation as:

F(f) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t) e^{-i 2\pi ft}\,dt = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t) e^{-i ft}\,dt

This is equivalent to the second formulation, where we have taken the factor of 2π out of the integral. This is allowed because the factor is just a constant and can be pulled out of the integral. Therefore, both formulations give the same result for the Dirac delta function.

In summary, the two formulations of the Dirac delta function using Fourier transform are equivalent and the difference lies in the definition of the Fourier transform itself. The factor of 2π in the first formulation is just a convention and can be taken out of the integral without affecting the overall result.

1. What is the Fourier transform formulation of the Dirac delta?

The Fourier transform formulation of the Dirac delta is a mathematical representation of the Dirac delta function in the frequency domain. It is used to describe the distribution of energy or amplitude of a signal in terms of different frequencies.

2. How is the Fourier transform of the Dirac delta function defined?

The Fourier transform of the Dirac delta function is defined as the limit of the Fourier transform of a Gaussian function as its standard deviation approaches zero. This limit is equivalent to the inverse Fourier transform of a constant function with unit amplitude.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform formulation of the Dirac delta in signal processing?

The Fourier transform formulation of the Dirac delta is essential in signal processing as it allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals in the frequency domain. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the Fourier series and the Fourier transform, which are widely used in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How is the Fourier transform of the Dirac delta used in convolution?

The Fourier transform of the Dirac delta is used in convolution to simplify the calculation of the convolution of two functions. By taking the Fourier transform of both functions and multiplying them together, the convolution can be expressed as the inverse Fourier transform of the product of the two Fourier transforms.

5. Can the Fourier transform of the Dirac delta function be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, the Fourier transform of the Dirac delta function can be applied to non-periodic signals. In this case, the Fourier transform is used to convert the signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing for a more efficient analysis and processing of the signal.