Do I have the necessary knowledge to succeed in Advanced Calculus?

In summary, the individual is considering taking the advanced multivariable calculus course (MAT237) at UT but is unsure if they have the necessary knowledge to succeed. They have taken a single variable calculus course (MAT135) and achieved a high A grade, but only have an intuitive understanding of theorems and proofs. The advanced course covers topics such as Euclidean Spaces, Limits and Continuity, Differential Calculus, and Integral Calculus. The individual has not heard of some of the "hard theorems" and is unsure if they are ready for the course. They are also considering taking an advanced single variable calculus course simultaneously.
Howers
I am interested in taking multivariable calculus (MAT237) at UT but need to know if I have the necessary knowledge to succeed in it. I have taken only "Calculus for Life Sci" (MAT135) but achieved a high A in it. The course covers everything from contunity to infinite series, but omits mostly all the proofs. I found the course super easy except for maybe the formal limit definition (which I still don't fully grasp) as well as IVT and MVT theorems and proofs. So I have a very good intuitive knowledge of single variable calculus, but don't know many of the theorems or how to prove them. My primitive guess is they will be repeated in the general or multivariable case, so that this won't hurt.

I got a taste of rigor with linear algebra, which was harsh at first but got better over time (although I still don't find many of the proofs convincing). Anyways, this advanced course uses Folland's Advanced Calculus and and covers the following topics: Euclidean Spaces and Vectors, Subsets of Euclidean Space, Limits and Continuity, Sequences, Completeness, Compactness, Connectedness, Uniform Continuity; Differential Calculus; Implicit Function theorem and applications; integral calculus; line and surface integrals with vector analysis; infinite series.

I have also never heard of any of the "hard theorems" or any applications of IVT. This course is rated hard by colleagues, and requires advanced calculus from year 1 or a high grade in life sci calculus (which I have). So with this kind of foundation, am I ready to take on Folland? Or should I just dumb it down to life sci calc II ?

Or should I take advanced single variable calc simultaneously with multi?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try reading posts 62-63 of who wants to be amathematician.
? seems to mean epsilon there.

mathwonk said:
try reading posts 62-63 of who wants to be amathematician.
? seems to mean epsilon there.

Looks like a textbook. What exactly am I looking for?

And you didn't answer if you thought I was ready for advanced calc or not :)

Yeah I found it thanks, but it doesn't exactly answer any of my questions. I thought mathmeticians are suposed to be precise =P

Ouch. I would consider the various forms of Green's theorem, divergence theorem, etc. essential for Advanced Calculus and you don't seem to have taken any multi-variable calculus.

HallsofIvy said:
Ouch. I would consider the various forms of Green's theorem, divergence theorem, etc. essential for Advanced Calculus and you don't seem to have taken any multi-variable calculus.

Its not required. The course is intended for second year students who will begin multivariable calc for the first time. Despite this, I independently learned some multivar calc like partial derivatives and limits.

helooo? i am giving you some information that you need to go on.

If you read mathwonk's post, I think he shows you want kind of stuff you might need to know for Multivariable. It wouldn't hurt to read it and try to understand it.

1. What is Advanced Calculus?

Advanced Calculus, also known as Vector Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of multivariable functions and the use of vectors to represent and analyze these functions. It builds upon the concepts of single variable calculus and extends them to higher dimensions.

2. What are some applications of Advanced Calculus?

Advanced Calculus has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some examples include optimization problems, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics.

3. What are the key topics covered in Advanced Calculus?

The key topics in Advanced Calculus include vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, gradient, divergence and curl, and the fundamental theorems of vector calculus.

4. What are the prerequisites for learning Advanced Calculus?

A strong foundation in single variable calculus and linear algebra is essential for understanding and mastering Advanced Calculus. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of trigonometry and basic geometry.

5. How can one improve their skills in Advanced Calculus?

Practice and repetition are key to improving skills in Advanced Calculus. Working through a variety of problems and seeking help from textbooks, online resources, and professors can also aid in better understanding the concepts and techniques involved.