Ziwebach: Xdot^{\mu} vs X. Matrix & Tensor Notation

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, Zwiebach is discussing Homework Equations and explains that Equations (6.49) and (6.50) on page 101 are straight forward partial derivatives of equation (6.46). He also explains that L(\dot{X}^{\mu}, X^{\mu\prime}) is a function of all 4 components of X and that when he takes the partial derivative with respect to \dot{X}^{\mu} this is really a partial with respect to the component not \dot{X} .
ehrenfest
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know, pages 92 up to 115 are not part of the free preview. [tex] \dot{X}^{\mu} [/tex] is probably the tau or sigma derivative of the X^{\mu}, that's my guess.

It is the tau derivative. And the X^mu' is the sigma derivative.

Equations (6.49) and (6.50) on page 101 are straight forward partial derivatives of equation (6.46).
[itex]X[/itex] is a 4-vector, as are [itex]\dot{X}[/itex] and [itex]X'[/itex] which are the [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] derivatives of [itex]X[/itex] respectively. There are 4 [itex]X^{\mu}[/itex] and each one is one of the 4 components of [itex]X[/itex]. [itex]\dot{X}^{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]X^{\mu\prime}[/itex] are defined in equation (6.40) on page 100.

What is confusing me is that [tex]L(\dot{X}^{\mu}, X^{\mu '})[/tex] in 6.46 implies that L is a function of only a single component of [tex]\dot{X}[/tex] and [tex] X^{'} [/tex], but then in the function definition all of the other components appear in the dot products. What is wrong with my thinking? Why is it not [tex]L(\dot{X}, X^{'})[/tex] ?

ehrenfest said:
What is confusing me is that [tex]L(\dot{X}^{\mu}, X^{\mu '})[/tex] in 6.46 implies that L is a function of only a single component of [tex]\dot{X}[/tex] and [tex] X^{'} [/tex], but then in the function definition all of the other components appear in the dot products. What is wrong with my thinking? Why is it not [tex]L(\dot{X}, X^{'})[/tex] ?

What do you mean by "simgle component"? The notation implies that L depends on all four [tex] \dot{X}^{\mu} [/tex] and all four [tex] X^{\mu '} [/tex].

ehrenfest said:
I agree with you. Zwiebach's notation here is a little 'funny'. He has for equation (6.46)

[tex]\mathcal{L}(\dot{X}^{\mu},X^{\mu\prime}) = -\frac{T_0}{c}\sqrt{(\dot{X}\cdot{X}') - (\dot{X})^2(X')^2}[/tex]

Now the rhs makes it clear that this is a function of all 4 components, but the notation on the lhs might be considered ambiguous. Certainly he does not mean to imply that [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is a function of only one of the [itex]X^{\mu}[/itex], because then he would have to tell us which one. Do not let this confuse you, he means all 4. If, like me, you are marking up the margins of your book with notes, then simply cross out the lhs and rewrite it as

[tex]\mathcal{L}(\dot{X},X')[/tex]

and similarly for equation (6.45). If you do not mark up your book, then simply note that the rhs of (6.46) shows you what he had in mind.

Last edited:
OK. But when he takes the partial derivative with respect to [tex] \dot{X}^{\mu} [/tex], this is really a partial with respect to the component not [tex] \dot{X} [/tex], right?

ehrenfest said:
OK. But when he takes the partial derivative with respect to [tex] \dot{X}^{\mu} [/tex], this is really a partial with respect to the component not [tex] \dot{X} [/tex], right?
Yes, in fact there are 4 such equations, one for each value of [itex]\mu[/itex]

I finished the quick calculation. Thanks.

1. What is Ziwebach?

Ziwebach is a mathematical notation used in theoretical physics to represent tensor operations. It was developed by physicist Ernst Ziwebach in the 1920s and has since been widely used in various fields of science.

2. What is Xdot^{\mu} and X in Ziwebach notation?

Xdot^{\mu} and X are both tensors in Ziwebach notation. Xdot^{\mu} represents a vector in spacetime, while X represents a matrix or tensor in general. The "^{\mu}" superscript indicates that the tensor has four components, which correspond to the four dimensions of spacetime.

3. What is the difference between Xdot^{\mu} and X in Ziwebach notation?

The main difference between Xdot^{\mu} and X is that Xdot^{\mu} represents a vector in spacetime, while X represents a general matrix or tensor. Xdot^{\mu} also has a specific set of rules for tensor operations, while X can represent any type of matrix or tensor operation.

4. How is Ziwebach notation used in physics?

Ziwebach notation is commonly used in theoretical physics, particularly in the fields of relativity, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is used to represent tensor operations and equations, which are essential in understanding the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Is Ziwebach notation still relevant in modern science?

Yes, Ziwebach notation is still widely used in modern science, particularly in theoretical physics. While other notations have been developed, Ziwebach notation remains a fundamental tool for representing tensor operations and equations, making it a crucial aspect of understanding many fundamental concepts in physics.