Möbius Mappings: Is SL or GL the Correct Group?

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the set of Möbius mappings and whether there is a mistake in the exercise involving this set. The term "Mob" is used to refer to this set, although it is not a standard notation. There is a relationship between this set and the special linear group SL(2, C). There is also mention of other related groups such as PSL(2, R) and PSU(1,1). It is mentioned that these mobius transformations can be used in the context of hyperbolic geometry and conformal mappings.
jostpuur
I have an exercise where the set of möbius mappings is defined like this

[tex]
\textrm{Mob} = \{ f_A:\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{C}\;|\; f_A(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d},\; A=\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{array}\right]\in \textrm{SL}(2,\mathbb{C})\}
[/tex]

Is it probable, that there is a mistake and the the special linear group should be replaced with [itex]\textrm{GL}(2,\mathbb{C})[/itex]?

The exercise uses wording "let us consider the set of möbius mappings", and I started thinking, that could that "set" be "subset". Is "Mob" common name for the full set of Möbius mappings?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's really the special linear group, then yes, it is a subset of all the Moebius transformations, since a Moebius transformation is defined as a mapping from C to C of the form (az+b)/(cz+d) where ad-bc!=0

So there is a mistake in the exercise, but I cannot logically conclude what it is, because there could be at least two different kind of mistakes. I think I'll assume that the Mob is a subset of the set of Möbius mappings, because this way the exercise is easier. :smile:

hmhm... or no. It's not really mistake, only very confusing. "set of möbius mappings" can mean any set, whose members are möbius mappings, and thus "set of möbius mappings" is now some "subset of the set of all möbius mappings"...

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
So there is a mistake in the exercise

Hmm... the exercise looks fine to me. I think Christo forgot a technical point.

The notation [itex]Mob[/itex] is not exactly standard but it is reasonable enough. There is no universally standard notation for the group of Moebius transformations, but the definition as the group of mappings [itex]z \mapsto \frac{a \, z + b}{c \, z + d}, \; a \, d - b \, c \neq 0[/itex] is standard. The bit you have quite grokked yet is the relationship between this group and [itex]SL(2,{\bf Z})[/itex].

Do you know what [itex]PSL(2,{\bf Z})[/itex] is? How about [itex]PGL(2,{\bf Z})[/itex]? How are these related? (Hint: might be a trick questions :wink: Another hint: would your "correction" really change the definition offered in the exercise?)

I take it this is a homework exercise so I don't want to just tell you the answer, but if you really get stuck, see Theorem 2.1.3 in Jones and Singerman, Complex Functions, Cambridge University Press, 1987.

Last edited:
I knew there was something tricky going on, because I'm now fighting with the equivalence classes of these matrices.

Exactly.

Incidentally these mobius transformations define the automorphisms of conformal mappings on the upper half plane.

For fun, prove this! ;0

I recently wrote an exposition on hyperbolic geometry utilizing mobius transformations. One of my sources used Mob(H) to be the set of mobius transformation as you defined.

Last edited:
I think you mean [itex]PSL(2, {\bf R})[/itex] (Moebius transformations of the upper half plane), which is isomorphic to [itex]PSU(1,1)[/itex] (Moebius transformations of the unit disk). Both have three real parameters, while [itex]PSL(2,{\bf C})[/itex] has six (like the Lorentz group, not a coincidence). In fact, [itex]PSL(2, {\bf R})[/itex] is the stabilizer of the upper half plane (in fact, of its boundary, the real line--- which is a circle on the Riemann sphere) while [itex]PSU(1,1)[/itex] is the stabilizer of the unit disk (in fact, of its boundary, the unit circle). So the first two are conjugate subgroups of the Moebius group itself (the third group).

Last edited:

1. What is a Möbius mapping?

A Möbius mapping is a type of transformation in mathematics that maps points on a complex plane to other points on the same plane. It is also known as a linear fractional transformation or a conformal mapping.

2. What is SL and GL in the context of Möbius mappings?

In the context of Möbius mappings, SL and GL refer to two different groups of transformations that can be applied to a complex plane. SL stands for Special Linear group, which consists of all 2x2 matrices with a determinant of 1. GL stands for General Linear group, which consists of all 2x2 matrices with a non-zero determinant.

3. Which group, SL or GL, is the correct group for Möbius mappings?

The correct group for Möbius mappings is the SL group. This is because Möbius mappings preserve angles and orientations, and the SL group is the smallest group that contains all of the transformations that preserve these properties.

4. Can the GL group also be used for Möbius mappings?

Yes, the GL group can also be used for Möbius mappings. However, it is a larger group than the SL group and contains additional transformations that do not preserve angles and orientations. Therefore, it is not the preferred group for Möbius mappings.

5. What are some real-world applications of Möbius mappings?

Möbius mappings have various applications in different fields, such as computer graphics, image processing, physics, and engineering. They are used to create 3D models of objects, correct distortions in images, and model physical systems with complex variables. They are also useful in studying conformal maps, which have applications in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics.