Calculating Tension in Suspended Loudspeaker Cables

In summary: Then \Sigma{F_y} = 0\)Since the acceleration in the x direction is zero, the tensions in the x direction are zero. Since you know they're equal in the x direction you can substitute them in for the y direction. I just don't think I knew that you could substitute.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A 14 kg loudspeaker is suspended 2.0m below the ceiling by two 3.0m long cables that angle outward at equal angles. What is the tension in the cables?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the free body diagram, and I broke the tension of the two wires into their components. I'm unsure about how to tackle the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you getting stuck? What are the forces acting on the suspended mass vertically?

The forces acting are the tension of the two cables and the weight of the object. I just don't know how to find the angle so I can break up the tensions into components.

aligass2004 said:
The forces acting are the tension of the two cables and the weight of the object. I just don't know how to find the angle so I can break up the tensions into components.

Find the angle... you know the y displacement is 2.0m. You know the length of the cable is 3.0m. You can find the angle.

Would the angle be 48.19 degrees? And if that's the case, where do I go from there?

aligass2004 said:
Would the angle be 48.19 degrees? And if that's the case, where do I go from there?

I'm getting 41.81 degrees. Well... if T is the magnitude of the tension... what's the vertical component of tension? What are the forces in the vertical direction?

The forces in the vertical direction are T1x and T2x

aligass2004 said:

Oops... sorry, this angle is fine... I just got the other angle of the right triangle... 90-48.19 = 41.81

aligass2004 said:
The forces in the vertical direction are T1x and T2x

The tensions are equal... So what is Tx in terms of T?

Tx = Tcos(theta)

aligass2004 said:
Tx = Tcos(theta)

So what is the F=ma equation in the vertical direction?

Is it Tcos(theta) = m(ax)?

aligass2004 said:
Is it Tcos(theta) = m(ax)?

accleretation is 0... you have 2 tensions... and also gravity.

I put horizontal anyway. In the vertical direction it would be Fnety = T1y + T2y - mg = m(ay).

aligass2004 said:
I put horizontal anyway. In the vertical direction it would be Fnety = T1y + T2y - mg = m(ay).

Can you put in the angles, sin/cos etc... ay = 0... and T1=T2... so just use T.

I don't understand.

aligass2004 said:
I don't understand.

Did you find T?

No I didn't. I don't understand how you can find T.

aligass2004 said:

Why are you using two different variables T1 and T2?

Am I not breaking the tension into components?

aligass2004 said:
Am I not breaking the tension into components?

I don't understand... is T1 and T2 different components? I thought they were for each rope on either side of the mass...

Both of those ropes have exactly the same tension (magnitude)... As written in the question, "two 3.0m long cables"... both of those cables have the exact same tension...

Are the ropes straight up and down or something?

No, cause it says outward.

aligass2004 said:
No, cause it says outward.

Actually you don't have to assume they're equal tensions...

[tex]\Sigma{F_x} = 0[/tex]

T2cos(41.8) - T1cos(41.8) = 0

T1 = T2

so from the sum of forces in the x-direction, we get that the two tensions in the two ropes are the same.

Then [tex]\Sigma{F_y} = 0[/tex]

T1sin(41.8) + T2sin(41.8) - mg = 0

sub in T1=T2

2T1sin(41.8) = mg

and you can solve for T1.

I think I got it now. Since the acceleration in the x direction is zero, the tensions in the x direction are zero. Since you know they're equal in the x direction you can substitute them in for the y direction. I just don't think I knew that you could substitute.

What is tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable is the amount of force that is being applied to the cable in order to keep it taut. It is the force that is being transmitted through the cable.

What factors affect tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by the weight of the object being supported by the cable, the angle at which the cable is attached, and the strength and elasticity of the cable itself.

How does tension in a cable affect its strength?

Tension in a cable is directly related to its strength. The higher the tension, the stronger the cable will be. However, if the tension exceeds the cable's breaking point, it will snap.

What is the difference between tension and compression in a cable?

Tension and compression are both types of forces that act on a cable. Tension is the force that pulls the cable apart, while compression is the force that pushes the cable together.

How can tension in a cable be calculated?

Tension in a cable can be calculated using the formula T = F * cosθ, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the cable, and θ is the angle at which the cable is attached.