New intros to Maxwell's Equations, Special and General Relativity

In summary: In your section on electromagnetism you've managed to work around the div and curl, which are very suspicious objects to begin with. Now, to the new student of electromagnetism, there appears to be a large and arbitrary set of rules set forth. But all of Maxwell becomes so very simple in the notation of tensors using the Levi-Cevita symbol. In other words, the mathematics without tensors is not quite right. Even the tensors are somewhat suspicious without differential forms.Likewise with special relativity. Gamma is all very nice, because it works, but the differential calculus leaves something untold until special relativity is recase in a form using the Lorentz transform matrix.I get
Will Flannery
I've put quick intros to these subjects on my web site, and I'd like to invite readers to comment. The goal of the tutorials is to give as quick an introduction as possible with the miminum of unnecessary technicalities, and yet to get to the essence of the matter . No doubt improvment is possible.

Maxwell's Equations
www.berkeleyscience.com/maxwells.htm

What's unusual - I was always a little buffaloed by the curl and gradient operators, and I set out to give the reader a feel for these operators. I discovered I could present the essence of Maxwell's equations without using them at all, and I'm happy with the result.

Special relativity
www.berkeleyscience.com/relativity.htm

What's unusual - the derivation of the Lorentz transform is by experiment and not algebra. There is also a very quick proof of e=mcc.

General relativity
www.berkeleyscience.com/gr.htm

What's unusual - this you have to see to believe - no use of Einstein's notation so everything is written out - plus there is a special 2-d pedagogical solution to the field equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good links

Mistakes in GR book

In your example in the section Curves in Euclidean 3 Space, I believe a(t) should be a(s) in the first equation. In the second equation, -(1/r) should be -(1/R).

It isn't clear to me why a'(s) = 1 in the second equation.
Is length(a(s)) = sqrt(x(s)^2+y(s)^2+z(s)^2) in general?

In the section Curved Surfaces in Euclidean 3 Space:

X(x0,x1) = (x(x0,x1), y(x0,x1), z(x0,x1))
should read
X(u,v) = (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v)) to make it agree with the graphic.

That is all I have found so far. See if you agree. If so, I will post some more.

>>> In your example in the section Curves in Euclidean 3 Space, I believe a(t) should be a(s) in the first equation. In the second equation, -(1/r) should be -(1/R).

Correct on both counts: the equations should be (well, they are now)
a(s) = (R*sin(s/R), R*cos(s/R), 0)
and
a'(s) = ((1/R)*R*cos(s/R), -(1/R)R*sin(s/R), 0)

>>> It isn't clear to me why a'(s) = 1 in the second equation.

The 's' parameter is arc length, so, by definition or convention, length(a'(s)) = 1

>>>X(x0,x1) = (x(x0,x1), y(x0,x1), z(x0,x1))
should read
X(u,v) = (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v))

You're right. I'll have to relabel the drawing.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Query to Will Flannery re correction to GR article

Will Flannery said:
>>>X(x0,x1) = (x(x0,x1), y(x0,x1), z(x0,x1))
should read
X(u,v) = (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v))

You're right. I'll have to relabel the drawing.

Question: While I've found this article very helpful in some respects (e.g. clarity re Christoffel Symbols), I'm confused about your intention to relabel the drawing.

a) Has it now been corrected, to what it now shows (i.e. did you relabel the (u,v) to (x0,x1)?,

OR

b) Is it still in need of correction, from (x0,x1) to (u,v)?

And if the latter, then how far down the article does the switch need to be made - just to the end of the paragraph, or all the remaining occurrences of little-x0 and little-x1 (little = non-bold) right through to halfway through the last section on Geodesics and the Curvature of Spacetime?

Advice appreciated - P

pellis said:
a) Has it now been corrected,

- P

Yes, I corrected it, changing the (u,v) to (x0, x1) which is the standard notation in the literature. It is used through the rest of the page.

Will Flannery said:
Yes, I corrected it, changing the (u,v) to (x0, x1) which is the standard notation in the literature. It is used through the rest of the page.
Thanks for the reply to mine about your correction

Will-
If you are still about, and monitoring this thread, perhaps you'd like to comment on the following.

In reviewing your chapters, I notice a common thread as to the mathematical notations. This is not criticism but observation.

In your section on electromagnetism you've managed to work around the div and curl, which are very suspicious objects to begin with. Now, to the new student of electromagnetism, there appears to be a large and arbitrary set of rules set forth. But all of Maxwell becomes so very simple in the notation of tensors using the Levi-Cevita symbol. In other words, the mathematics without tensors is not quite right. Even the tensors are somewhat suspicious without differential forms.

Likewise with special relativity. Gamma is all very nice, because it works, but the differential calculus leaves something untold until special relativity is recase in a form using the Lorentz transform matrix.

I get the same uneasy feeling with the Christoffell symbol. It just seems wrong in the sense of being the basis of a notational structure that somehow needs improvement.
Do you happen to know of any alternatives, or if the curvature tensor, and all, can be recase in terms of differential forms, or a reason they cannot?
- deCraig

Do you happen to know of any alternatives, or if the curvature tensor, and all, can be recase in terms of differential forms,

I also managed to avoid tensors, which, I confess, I think is essential to an understandable introduction (i.e. it's essential to avoid tensors). I did call the curvature tensor the curvature tensor, but I didn't use any tensor operations, or even define tensor. It was at the point of reaching the curvature tensor that my intuition began to fail, and I was happy to be able to get through the field equations and to a solution just based on formula manipulations, really. So, I don't know of any alternatives, but I would agree that my intro doesn't give any kind of intuitive feel for why the curvature tensor does what it does, and that is a major shortcoming.

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in electromagnetism that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were first developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s and have since been proven to accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the difference between Special and General Relativity?

Special Relativity, developed by Albert Einstein in 1905, describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains how the laws of physics appear the same to all observers in uniform motion. General Relativity, developed in 1915, extends this theory to include the effects of gravity and describes how massive objects like planets and stars curve the fabric of space-time.

3. How do Maxwell's Equations relate to Special and General Relativity?

Maxwell's Equations are an integral part of both Special and General Relativity. In fact, Einstein used these equations as a starting point for developing his theories. Special Relativity relies on the idea of an invariant speed of light, which is predicted by Maxwell's Equations. General Relativity incorporates these equations into its explanation of the curvature of space-time.

4. What are some real-world applications of these concepts?

Maxwell's Equations and Special and General Relativity have numerous practical applications. For example, they are essential in the development of modern technology, such as cell phones and GPS systems. They also help us understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic waves and gravitational effects, which are crucial in fields like astronomy and cosmology.

5. Are there any current research developments related to these topics?

Yes, there is ongoing research in all areas related to Maxwell's Equations, Special and General Relativity. Scientists are continually expanding our understanding of these concepts and using them to make new discoveries. Some current research topics include testing the limits of General Relativity, exploring the behavior of extreme gravitational fields, and searching for connections between electromagnetism and other forces, such as gravity.