Coefficient of kinetic friction on hockey puck

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a hockey puck and ice. The approach involves using the equation uk*mg = ma, with the masses canceling and leaving uk*g = a. However, the person is getting the wrong answer and is unsure of what they are doing wrong. Another person suggests using the equation ∑F_x = -f_k = ma_x and ∑F_y = n-mg = 0, and solving for uk using the formula uk = (V_xi^2)/(2gx_f).
ttk3
The way I approached the problem I found acceleration using V^2=vo^2 + 2ax. Then I set uk*mg = ma. The masses cancel... so its uk*g = a. I keep getting the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

Homework Statement

A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 22.3 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 249.3 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

Homework Equations

uk*m*g = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know the masses cancel... What am I missing?

How did you work out the acceleration?

0 = 22.3 ^2 + 2 * a * 249.3

and i solved for a

Ok. Now you know the masses cancel, which leaves you with:

[tex] \mu_k = \frac{a}{g} [/tex]

What do you get for your answer, knowing that g is the acceleration due to gravity?

Try this:

1 ∑F_{x}=-f_{k}=ma_{x}
2 ∑F_{y}=n-mg=0
note: n=mg becomes(n/g)=m
3 if puck is moving right then:
4 -u_{k}n=-u_{k}mg=ma_{x}
5 a_{x}=-u_{k}g
6 V_{xf}²=V_{xi}²+2a_{x(X_{f}}-x_{i)}
7 so now 0=V_{xi}²+2a_{x}x_{f} becomes
8 V_{xi}²-2u_{k}gx_{f}
9 u_{k}=((V_{xi}²)/(2gx_{f}))
10 u_{k}=(((22.3(m/s))²)/(2(9.80(m/(s²)))(249.3m))) =0.1017727
11 how's that?

plutoisacomet said:
Try this:

1 ∑F_{x}=-f_{k}=ma_{x}
2 ∑F_{y}=n-mg=0
note: n=mg becomes(n/g)=m
3 if puck is moving right then:
4 -u_{k}n=-u_{k}mg=ma_{x}
5 a_{x}=-u_{k}g
6 V_{xf}²=V_{xi}²+2a_{x(X_{f}}-x_{i)}
7 so now 0=V_{xi}²+2a_{x}x_{f} becomes
8 V_{xi}²-2u_{k}gx_{f}
9 u_{k}=((V_{xi}²)/(2gx_{f}))
10 u_{k}=(((22.3(m/s))²)/(2(9.80(m/(s²)))(249.3m))) =0.1017727
11 how's that?

Please don't give away full solutions. It defeats the object of helping students to learn for themselves.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck is a measure of the amount of resistance or friction between the puck and the surface it is moving on. It is represented by the symbol "μk" and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck can be determined by conducting experiments in which the puck is placed on different surfaces and its motion is measured. The force required to keep the puck moving at a constant speed is divided by the weight of the puck to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck can be affected by factors such as the type of surface the puck is moving on, the temperature of the surface, and the weight and material of the puck. Additionally, the roughness of the surface and the presence of any lubricants can also impact the coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck affect its movement?

The coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck plays a crucial role in its movement. It determines the amount of resistance the puck experiences as it slides across the surface, which can affect its speed and direction. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction will result in the puck slowing down faster, while a lower coefficient will allow the puck to maintain its speed for longer periods.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction on a hockey puck can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, using a smoother surface or adding a lubricant can reduce the coefficient of kinetic friction, while using a rougher surface or increasing the weight of the puck can increase it. However, the coefficient of kinetic friction for a particular surface and puck combination is a constant value and cannot be changed without altering these factors.