Rate of Convergence of \alpha _{n}: Find Limit & K

In summary, the conversation was discussing finding the rate of convergence for the sequence \alpha = \frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3}, with n=1,2,3,...,... and the limit of alpha. The attempt at a solution involved finding the limit of alpha and then using the definition of rate of convergence to find the limit of the sequence. The conversation also mentioned using the definition from "Numerical Analysis 8th ed" by Burden and Faires.
Link-

Homework Statement

Find the Rate of Convergence of [tex] \alpha = \frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3} [/tex]

n=1,2,3,...,...

Homework Equations

[tex]lim n->\infty=\alpha _{n}[/tex]

[tex] |\alpha-\alpha _{n} |\leq K*|\beta n|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the limit of alpha [tex]\alpha _{n}= 2[/tex]

Then,

[tex] |\frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3 -2}|=\frac{n+7}{|n^{2}-3|}[/tex]

Here I'm stock.

-Link

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by rate of convergence?

Link- said:
[tex] |\frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3 -2}|=\frac{n+7}{|n^{2}-3|}[/tex]
Heh, you misplaced a bracket, obviously you meant
[tex] |\frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3} -2|=\frac{n+7}{|n^{2}-3|}[/tex]

I also wonder what you mean by rate of convergence, but taking the "simple" definition on this Wikipedia page I think you want to start out by filling in
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1} - 2}{a_n - 2}
= \frac{ \frac{2n^2+n+1}{n^2-3} - 2 }{ \frac{2*n^{2}+n+1}{n^{2}-3} - 2 }
[/tex]
and work it out as you did above, then take the limit
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a_{n+1} - 2}{a_n - 2}[/tex].

I don't know what definition you use though.

Yes I misplaced a bracket, thanks compuchip.

Rate of convergence definition.

Suppose [tex] \left \{\beta _{n} \right\}}^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] is a sequence known to converge to zero, and [tex] \left\{\alpha _{n} \right\} ^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] converges to a number [tex]\alpha [/tex]. If a positive constant K ecists with

[tex]| \alpha _{n} - \alpha| \leq K|\beta _{n}| [/tex], for large n,

then we way that [tex] \left\{\alpha _{n} \right\} ^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] converges to [tex]\alpha[/tex] with rate of convergence [tex] O( \beta _{n})[/tex]. It is idndicated by writing [tex]\alpha _{n}=\alpha + O( \beta _{n}) [/tex].

Obtained from "Numerical Analysis 8th ed", by Burden and Faires.

1. What is the rate of convergence of a sequence?

The rate of convergence of a sequence is a measure of how quickly the terms in the sequence approach a specific value, known as the limit. It tells us how fast the terms get closer and closer to the limit as the sequence progresses.

2. How is the rate of convergence of a sequence calculated?

The rate of convergence is typically determined by taking the absolute value of the difference between each term in the sequence and the limit, and then dividing by the difference between the terms. This value is then compared to a standard rate of convergence, such as linear or exponential, to determine the overall convergence rate.

3. What does the value of the rate of convergence indicate?

The rate of convergence provides information about how quickly a sequence converges to its limit. A higher rate of convergence indicates that the sequence is approaching its limit at a faster rate, while a lower rate of convergence indicates a slower approach to the limit.

4. How is the limit of a sequence found?

The limit of a sequence is found by taking the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the sequence progresses. This can be done by analyzing the behavior of the terms, such as whether they are increasing or decreasing, or by using a mathematical formula or algorithm to determine the limit.

5. What is the role of the constant K in determining the rate of convergence?

The constant K is used to determine the specific rate of convergence for a sequence. It is typically compared to a standard rate of convergence, such as linear or exponential, to determine how quickly the sequence converges to its limit. A higher value of K indicates a faster convergence rate, while a lower value indicates a slower rate of convergence.