What speaks with one voice, yet walks on four feet in the morning,.

• Thread starter TR345
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the famous riddle of the Sphinx from Greek mythology, which involves a creature that speaks with one voice but walks on four feet in the morning, two feet at noon, and three feet in the evening. The answer to the riddle is related to the stages of a man's life, representing walking on all fours as a child, walking on two legs as an adult, and using a cane in old age. The riddle is traditionally attributed to Plato and is well-known in literature and philosophy.
TR345
What speaks with one voice, yet walks on four feet in the morning, two feet at noon and three feet in the evening?"

I don't know the answer. This one had me stumped. Let me know if you get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's actually more philosophy than puzzle.
It's about a man's life.
four feet in the morning: you walk on both arms and legs when you are a kid.(2legs+2 arms=4)
two feet at noon: you walk on your legs only when you are young.(2legs only)
three feet in the evening: You walk with a stick.(2legs+1stick=3)

Wasn't this by Plato?

I'm sure it was a Greek philosopher. Anyway it's a very well-known one.

this is traditionally known as the riddle of the Sphinx

The Sphinx would not let a traveller pass unless he could answer the riddle. I don't remember who it was that first solved the riddle (according to the myth)

I remember this from Oedipus the King back in grade 11 English.

1. What is the answer to the riddle "What speaks with one voice, yet walks on four feet in the morning?"

The answer to this riddle is a human, since we speak with one voice and walk on two feet in the morning, but can also use our hands as additional "feet". This refers to the stages of crawling and walking during infancy and childhood.

2. Can you provide a scientific explanation for why humans walk on two feet?

The ability to walk upright on two feet is a unique characteristic of humans, known as bipedalism. This evolved over millions of years due to changes in our environment and the need to efficiently travel long distances. Bipedalism also freed up our hands for other tasks, leading to the development of tools and technology.

3. How does the structure of a human foot differ from that of other animals?

Compared to other animals, the human foot has a unique structure that allows for efficient walking and running. Our feet have a longitudinal arch, which acts as a shock absorber and helps maintain balance. We also have a big toe that is parallel to the other toes, providing stability while walking.

4. What are the benefits of walking on two feet instead of four?

Walking on two feet has several advantages for humans. It allows for more efficient movement and energy conservation, which is important for survival. Bipedalism also frees up our hands for other tasks, such as carrying objects or using tools. Additionally, walking on two feet allows for a wider field of vision, making it easier to detect potential threats and resources.

5. Are there any disadvantages to walking on two feet?

While bipedalism has many benefits, there are also some disadvantages. Walking on two feet puts more stress on our spine and joints, which can lead to back pain and other musculoskeletal issues. Our bodies are also more vulnerable to falls and injuries while walking on two feet, compared to animals that can use all four limbs for stability.