Momentum and Stream of Pellets

In summary, the pellet gun is firing pellets at a speed of 483 m/s and is able to exert an average force of -826.9 N on the wall.
bob1182006
Not really homework but doing all problems in the book this one just stumped me...

Homework Statement

A pellet gun finers ten 2.14-g pellets per second with a speed of 483 m/s. The pellets are stopped by a rigid wall
(a) Find the momentum of each pellet.
(b) Calculate the average force exerted by the stream of pellets on the wall.
(c) If each pellet is in contact with the wall for 1.25 ms, what is the average force exerted on the wall by each pellet while in contact? Why is this so different from (b)?

Homework Equations

P=mv
P2-P1=Favg*(t2-t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](a) P=m_pv_p=1.03kg*m/s[/tex]
(b) ok the "stream" screws me up, wouldn't the average force of the stream be the average force of just 1? it's just that it's one after the other etc...
[tex]F_{avg}=\frac{P_2-P_1}{\Delta t}=\frac{m_P(V_f-V_i)}{\Delta t}[/tex]
I don't know a delta t, final velocity=0?

(c)[tex]f_{avg}=\frac{m_P(V_f-V_i)}{\Delta t}=\frac{-483*2.14*10^-3}{1.25*10^{-3}}=-826.9N[/tex]
this is force from bullet to wall, wall to bullet = 826.9N

Physics news on Phys.org
The force in c) is only exerted on the wall for a short time. Most of the time the force on the wall is zero. b) is asking for the average force over long periods of time. You could consider one bullet with a delta t of 1/10 sec or ten bullets with a delta t of one second. You'll get the same answer either way.

I see thanks!
So pretty much for 1s, 10 pellets hit the wall, but they're only in contact for about 1-2 ms, so 10-20ms of the 1s is when the force is applied, and the other time when no force is experienced by the wall brings down the average force to such a low level (-10N).
Wierd H&R, nor my teacher talked about these problems, and they're even numbers so can't look at sol. man.
Time to go try some more ^.^

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to the stream of pellets?

The momentum of a stream of pellets is directly related to the mass and velocity of the individual pellets. The total momentum of the stream is the sum of the individual momentums of each pellet.

3. How does increasing the mass of the pellets affect the momentum of the stream?

An increase in the mass of the pellets will result in an increase in the momentum of the stream. This is because momentum is directly proportional to mass.

4. Does the velocity of the pellets affect the momentum of the stream?

Yes, the velocity of the pellets has a direct impact on the momentum of the stream. A higher velocity will result in a higher momentum, while a lower velocity will result in a lower momentum.

5. Can the momentum of a stream of pellets be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a stream of pellets can be changed by altering either the mass or velocity of the pellets. It can also be changed by applying an external force, such as wind or gravity, to the stream.