How does rubbing act as a mechanism for charge transfer.

In summary, rubbing two objects together causes friction, which in turn generates heat and allows for the transfer of electrons between the objects. When left close together, the charged objects eventually become discharged due to the repulsion of the charges. Without rubbing, the charges may either stay on the objects or dissipate into the air.
scibler

Homework Statement

I don't understand why it is that by rubbing things together things develop charge, whereas when you just leave them close together they become discharged. What is it about the rubbing that acts as a mechanism to allow charge to flow? Isn't it the case that when rubbing doesn't occur the charges reverse their flow?

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that by rubbing things together electrons transfer to the one with more electron affinity. I also understand that friction is primarily an electric interaction. I think it may be some sort of heat driven thing, whereby heating the surfaces you allow electrons to have more energy to liberate. However, I am not sure, and I can't seem to find anything about it in my textbooks. What confuses me most is that when not rubbing them together the charge dissipates into the air, or back between the substances.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

You are on the right track with your understanding of rubbing causing electron transfer and friction being an electric interaction. Let me explain it in a bit more detail.

When two objects are rubbed together, the friction between them causes the transfer of electrons from one object to the other. This is because friction generates heat, which in turn gives the electrons more energy to move from one object to the other. This movement of electrons is what creates an electric charge on the objects.

Now, when these charged objects are left close together, the charges on them start to repel each other. This repulsion causes the charges to spread out and eventually neutralize each other. This is why the objects become discharged when left close together.

However, when rubbing doesn't occur, the charges do not reverse their flow. They either stay on the objects or dissipate into the air. This is because the lack of friction does not provide enough energy for the electrons to move and transfer between the objects.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Keep exploring and learning!

1. How does rubbing cause objects to become charged?

When two objects are rubbed together, friction causes electrons to transfer from one object to the other. This results in one object becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

2. What type of objects can be charged by rubbing?

Any object that is able to conduct electricity, such as metal or human skin, can become charged through rubbing. However, some materials are better at holding a charge than others.

3. How does rubbing affect the strength of the charge?

The strength of the charge depends on the material of the objects being rubbed, the amount of friction generated, and the surface area of contact between the objects. Generally, the longer and harder the rubbing, the stronger the charge will be.

4. Can rubbing produce both positive and negative charges?

Yes, rubbing can produce both positive and negative charges. The object that loses electrons will become positively charged, while the object that gains electrons will become negatively charged.

5. How long does the charge from rubbing last?

The charge from rubbing will eventually dissipate as the objects come into contact with other materials or the surrounding air. However, the duration of the charge depends on the materials involved and the environment they are in.