Ammeter to help the circuit work

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an ammeter in a circuit to help it work. The circuit includes an IC chip and a motor, and initially does not function until an ammeter is added. The conversation also touches on the use of resistors, capacitors, and amplifiers in the circuit, as well as the importance of proper heat management and the concept of ampacity. Ultimately, the conversation seeks to troubleshoot and improve the functionality of the circuit.
lmkjason
Ammeter to help the circuit work!

I have connected one IC circuit which is taking from a remote control car. Then I connect it to the a power supply which is 9V. It doesn't work in the beginning. But I don't know why it works after I connect an ammeter in parallel to the resistor which in in series to the motor. The circuit diagram is attached. I have tried to use a variable resistor to instead of the 4k7 ohm resistor and remove the ammeter. But the circuit doesn't work. Do I need to use a capacitor to stablize the current flow into the motor. Or I need to add another amplifier to increase the current input into the motor. But I think it is quite dangerrous to add a amplifier directly in series with the motor since it may burst. Also, do I need to add an inductor to store the energy. Thank you for any help for that.

Attachments

• remote control motor circuit.JPG
    remote control motor circuit.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 509
Engineering news on Phys.org
Where's the motor in your diagram?

Why do you have an ammeter connected in parallel instead of series?

What is the IC chip supposed to be doing?

lmkjason said:
I connect an ammeter in parallel to the resistor which in in series to the motor.
An ammeter has close to zero ohms resistance.
If it works this way without burning anything out then you either do not need the 4k resistor or it should be a very much smaller value.

The motor is connected in series of the switch. I have tried 500 ohms resistor insteads of the 4k7 ohm resistor. However, the resistor starts to heat up to an unacceptable level in a short time. Hence, I change it to 1k ohms. This doesn't move again in this case. I don't try less than 100 ohms since I think it will burn the IC circuit. I have burnt one IC circuit when I connect it directly without any resistor in the circuit to reduce the current.

The IC chip is a complicated circuit which I don't know how to draw it. The chip model is SDRX2BD and there is code of B 60200397. It has 18 resistors, 9 inductors and 11 capacitors in the IC circuit. If it is necessary, I can draw it in the spice software. But I really don't how to draw it in the photoshop. Thanks for any help for the circuit. I really appreciate the reply of the message.

lmkjason said:
The motor is connected in series of the switch.

Before or after the IC chip?

Can you draw the circuit as it is actually connected? That makes troubleshooting a lot easier!

How much current can the IC source?
How much current does the motor draw direct with no IC?
What are the heatsink requirements for the IC?
Are you using a damper diode on the motor?

i should assume that the current is bypassing the resistor and going straight through the ammeter and taking the path of least resistance (as electricity does).
the idea of a resistor is tho provide resistance(duh) to lower your current so if you have a large current and you add any resistor you should expect energy loss in the form of heat, more resistance, more heat. that is afterall how they work, converting electrical energy to heat energy(at least that's how the old wire resistors worked). the resistor in parallel to your ammeter adds more capacitance to your "wire" and has the opposite effect of a resistor. why this already does not cause your circuit to overheat, if it is from a 500ohm resistor, i do not know...
if you can't figure out what to do i suggest you make that ammeter a permanent fixture of your circuit and (possibly) remove the resistor with it in place. the ammeter itself is a resistor,just not anywhere near as strong.

tc_kid said:
the resistor in parallel to your ammeter adds more capacitance to your "wire" and has the opposite effect of a resistor.

Please do not add confusion to this discussion. This makes no sense.

Last edited:
Averagesupernova said:
Please do not add confusion to this discussion. This makes no sense.
its like placing 2 resistors in parallel, where Rt=1/R1+1/R2. the ammeter also acts as a resistor in this case(just not a very strong one). decreasing your total resistance means you are increasing the capacitance of the "wire". electricity flows easier through wire with less resistance and higher capacitance as it allows for a higher current.

i am referring to the parallel resistor and ammeter as the wire. i use the term wire because it is easy to understand how a thin wire has more resistance and a thick wire has less resistance.

tc_kid said:
its like placing 2 resistors in parallel, where Rt=1/R1+1/R2. the ammeter also acts as a resistor in this case(just not a very strong one). decreasing your total resistance means you are increasing the capacitance of the "wire". electricity flows easier through wire with less resistance and higher capacitance as it allows for a higher current.

i am referring to the parallel resistor and ammeter as the wire. i use the term wire because it is easy to understand how a thin wire has more resistance and a thick wire has less resistance.

It has nothing to do with capacitance. I think you mean current carrying capacity/ability, or what is referred to as ampacity.

well yes, that's what i mean... i don't mean capacitance like farads
AMPACITY IT IS!

Lmkjason, just replace thae word capacitance with the word ampacitance in what i said and perhaps it will help you find a soloution...

What is an ammeter and how does it help a circuit work?

An ammeter is a device used to measure the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It helps a circuit work by providing information about the amount of current flowing through the circuit, which can be used to troubleshoot and adjust the circuit for optimal performance.

How do you connect an ammeter to a circuit?

An ammeter should be connected in series with the circuit, meaning it is inserted in the path of the current flow. This allows the ammeter to measure the current passing through it.

What is the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter?

An ammeter measures the flow of current, while a voltmeter measures the potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. In other words, an ammeter measures the amount of electricity flowing, while a voltmeter measures the force or pressure behind the electricity.

Why is it important to use an ammeter in a circuit?

An ammeter is important in a circuit because it allows for the monitoring and regulation of current flow. This can prevent damage to the circuit and its components, as well as ensure optimal performance.

What are some safety precautions when using an ammeter?

When using an ammeter, it is important to make sure it is rated for the amount of current in the circuit. It is also important to follow proper procedures for disconnecting and connecting the ammeter to the circuit. Always handle the ammeter with caution and avoid touching the metal probes when the circuit is live to prevent electric shock.