Higher Partial Derivatives & Chain Rule

In summary: Yes, this is your first tree diagram. But your second tree diagram, the one that goes through r, is correct for Z but not for F_j, because F_j depends explicitly on x_j; F_j cannot be written as a function of r alone, even though Z can.
kingwinner
Higher Partial Derivatives & Chain Rule (urgent)

I'll have a test this evening, and I don't want to fail on a question like this, so please help me out! I will greatly appreciate for any help provided.

The question:
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/advcal11.JPG

My attempt:
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/advcal10.JPG

From the solutions manual:
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/advcal12.JPG

My first-order derivative is correct, but my second-order partial derivative Fjj is wrong. But I don't understand WHY I am wrong. Can someone please show me HOW to calculuate Fjj? I even tried to draw tree diagrams to clarfiy the dependence of variables, but I still got messed up, this is very very frustrating. I spent an hour looking through my work (I'm not kidding), but I can't locate my mistake, nor do I understand the way the solutions manual calculate Fjj.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [itex]F_j = x_j r^{-1}f'(r)[/itex], but when you differentiate this with respect to x_j, you neglect to differentiate the factor of x_j itself. This is what gives the first term in F_jj in the solutions manual.

Avodyne said:
You have [itex]F_j = x_j r^{-1}f'(r)[/itex], but when you differentiate this with respect to x_j, you neglect to differentiate the factor of x_j itself. This is what gives the first term in F_jj in the solutions manual.

[Let D=curly d=partial derivative]

DF_j/Dx_j = (DF_j/Dr) (Dr/Dx_j) by the tree diagram (or the chain rule). What's wrong with this?

(DF_j/Dr) = D(f '(r) * x_j * r^-1) / Dr <----here I am differentiating with respect to r, so I just pulled out the constant x_j (it's index is j, not r, so it's constant with repsect to r), should be correct I guess.

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
[Let D=curly d=partial derivative]

DF_j/Dx_j = (DF_j/Dr) (Dr/Dx_j) by the tree diagram (or the chain rule). What's wrong with this?

(DF_j/Dr) = D(f '(r) * x_j * r^-1) / Dr <----here I am differentiating with respect to r, so I just pulled out the constant x_j (it's index is j, not r, so it's constant with repsect to r), should be correct I guess.
?? r is NOT an index to begin with! r depends upons every xi so every xi depends upon r. You cannot change r without changing every xi.

HallsofIvy said:
?? r is NOT an index to begin with! r depends upons every xi so every xi depends upon r. You cannot change r without changing every xi.

I see...
Then how can I calculate (DF_j/Dr)? Can someone please explain this?

F_j is *not* a function of r alone; it *also* depends on x_j explicitly, through the factor of x_j in front. So, DF_j/Dx_j = DF_j/Dx_j + (DF_j/Dr) (Dr/Dx_j), but DF_j/Dx_j means two different things on each side; on the left, it means differentiate with respect to both explicit and implicit (through r) appearances of x_j; on the right, it means differentiate only with respect to the explicit dependence on x_j. I would prefer to call the left side dF_j/dx_j, that is, the derivative with respect to *all* dependence on x_j, both implicit and explicit. But it's a partial derivative in the sense that all other components of x are being held fixed.

But, say, if f is a function of x,y,z, then all partial derivatives fx,fy,fz are functions of x,y,z as well. I remember seeing some remarks or theorem like this. So f, fx, fy, fz have the same tree diagram.

So in this case, F and Fx should have the same tree diagram. Following the branches, there is only one way to get from fx to x_j, i.e. from fx to r to x_j, so shouldn't DF_j/Dx_j = (DF_j/Dr) (Dr/Dx_j) be correct?

kingwinner said:
But, say, if f is a function of x,y,z, then all partial derivatives fx,fy,fz are functions of x,y,z as well. ... So in this case, F and Fx should have the same tree diagram.

Yes, this is your first tree diagram. But your second tree diagram, the one that goes through r, is correct for Z but not for F_j, because F_j depends explicitly on x_j; F_j cannot be written as a function of r alone, even though Z can. So, for F_j, your second diagram is missing a branch, one that connects F_j directly to x_j without going through r.

What are higher partial derivatives?

Higher partial derivatives are derivatives of a function with respect to more than one independent variable. They represent the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable, while holding all other variables constant.

How do you calculate higher partial derivatives?

To calculate higher partial derivatives, you take the derivative of the function with respect to one variable at a time, while holding all other variables constant. This process can be repeated for each variable to find the second, third, and higher order partial derivatives.

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How is the chain rule used in calculating higher partial derivatives?

The chain rule can be used to calculate higher partial derivatives by applying it to each variable in the function. When taking the derivative with respect to a specific variable, the chain rule is used to find the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, while the derivative of the inner function is calculated separately.

Why are higher partial derivatives important?

Higher partial derivatives are important in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in physics and economics. They can help us understand the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions and are used in optimization problems, curve fitting, and other applications.