Extremely simple spherical mirrors question

In summary, the object's distance of 24cm and the focal distance of 6cm from the center of the mirror can be used to determine the image distance and height. Using the thin lens equation and magnification equation, the image distance is found to be 8cm and the image height is -1cm, indicating an inverted and smaller image. These calculations are correct according to the laws of optics.
Jim Kata

Homework Statement

A 3cm tall object is a distance 24cm from the center of a mirror, the focal distance is 6cm from the center of the mirror. What is the images distance from the center of the mirror?
How tall is the image?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the object's distance is further away than the focal length you know that the image is real so the sign on i, the image distance is positive

1/24 + 1/i = 1/6

1/i = 3/24 = 1/8

i = 8cm

The magnification is m = -8/24 = -1/3

So the height of the image is 3cm(-1/3) = -1cm.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to confirm that your solution is correct. Your use of the thin lens equation (1/f = 1/o + 1/i) and the magnification equation (m = -i/o) are both accurate and appropriate for solving this problem. Based on your calculations, the image distance is indeed 8cm from the center of the mirror, and the image height is -1cm. This makes sense since the image is inverted and smaller than the object. Keep up the good work!

I would say that your approach and calculations are correct. However, it is important to note that the image distance and height are negative, indicating that the image is inverted. Additionally, the image height is smaller than the object height, which is expected in a concave mirror. Overall, your solution is accurate and demonstrates a good understanding of the principles of spherical mirrors.

1. What is a spherical mirror?

A spherical mirror is a reflective surface that has a curved shape, resembling a section of a sphere. It is commonly used in optical devices such as telescopes, cameras, and mirrors.

2. What are the types of spherical mirrors?

There are two types of spherical mirrors: concave and convex. A concave mirror curves inward and can form either real or virtual images, depending on the position of the object. A convex mirror curves outward and will always form a virtual image.

3. How does a spherical mirror form an image?

A spherical mirror forms an image by reflecting light rays from an object. The light rays bounce off the mirror's surface and converge or diverge depending on the type of mirror. The point where the light rays intersect is where the image is formed.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in a spherical mirror?

A real image is formed when the light rays from an object actually converge at a point in front of the mirror. This image can be captured on a screen or a piece of paper. A virtual image is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror. It cannot be captured on a screen or paper, but can be seen by the observer.

5. What factors affect the size and position of an image in a spherical mirror?

The size and position of an image in a spherical mirror can be affected by the object's distance from the mirror, the curvature of the mirror, and the type of mirror. For instance, a concave mirror will create a larger and inverted image when the object is placed closer to the mirror, while a convex mirror will always create a smaller and upright image.