Determining coefficient of friction

In summary: Thus, 3.386-16.17mu = 0.045 + mu*9.8*0.06 = 0.045 + 0.588mu => mu = 0.206. In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction on a horizontal surface after a 2 kg object slides down a frictionless track and collides with a 0.5 kg mass, which then hits a spring and compresses it by 6 cm. The conversation involves the use of equations such as GPE=mgh, KE=1/2*mv^2, p=mv, F=kx, and W=1/2*kx^2, as well as the principles of
quasar7744
1. A 2 kg object slides down a frictionless track (starting 0.27 m above the ground) to a horizontal surface where it collides elastically with a 0.5 kg mass. 3.3 m later the 0.5 kg mass hits a k=25 N/m spring and compresses is 6 cm. What is the coefficient of friction on the horizontal surface?

2. GPE=mgh, KE=1/2*mv^2, p=mv, Momentum and Kinetic Energy are conserved in this problem, F=kx, and W=1/2*kx^2

3. First I found out that the velocity of the box right before collision was 2.300434742 m/s, because of conservation of energy
Then I figured out the velocity of the 0.5 kg box to be 3.680695766 m/s from 2 equations and 2 variables and using the fact that it is a 1 D Elastic Collision.
Then I found out that mu=-a/g, and so I learned that the energy done by friction was 1/2*-9.8*mu*3.3=-16.17 mu, right before it hits spring
Then, I found out that the work done by the box when it hits the spring is 1/2*25*.06^2=0.045J, so the energy left right before it hits the spring is 0.045J, and because the energy right after collision is 1/2*0.5*3.680695766^2, we see that -16.17mu=0.045-3.38688033, and so mu=.2066716345

However, this is wrong, so I was wondering if ny assumption that the work remaining is 0.045 right before the contact with spring was wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that part is quite correct.

The correct eqn is:

KE before friction - energy lost due to friction = 0.045 =>
3.386 -16.17mu = 0.045 =>
mu = 0.212.

(You need not retain so many decimal places!)

Shooting star said:
No, that part is quite correct.

The correct eqn is:

KE before friction - energy lost due to friction = 0.045 =>
3.386 -16.17mu = 0.045 =>
mu = 0.212.

(You need not retain so many decimal places!)

I don't understand how you got 0.212 as the answer, and when I solve that equation, I still get the wrong answer.

Thanks

quasar7744 said:
I don't understand how you got 0.212 as the answer, and when I solve that equation, I still get the wrong answer.

Thanks

I got the answer by solving the eqn I've written down. Do you have some doubts about that eqn? Tell me.

Also, I didn't understand, you still get the wrong answer, when you solve which eqn?

BTW, do you know the correct ans?

Shooting star said:
I got the answer by solving the eqn I've written down. Do you have some doubts about that eqn? Tell me.

Also, I didn't understand, you still get the wrong answer, when you solve which eqn?

BTW, do you know the correct ans?

the equation I was referring to was 3.386-16.17mu=0.045, when I solve it, I get 0.206,

And the correct answer is .2050 to the nearest ten thousandths.

Last edited:
Yes, I had made a mistake in +/- and got the wrong result of 0.212. The ans according to what I've given is 0.206, the same as your value. Sorry. Actually, we have both written down the same eqn.

Was there any stipulation in the problem to consider all quantities up to a certain number of decimal places? I've never seen any problem where you have to find out speeds up to 9 decimal places. Then other things should be more accurate, e.g., g=9.81 m/s/s etc.

Shooting star said:
Yes, I had made a mistake in +/- and got the wrong result of 0.212. The ans according to what I've given is 0.206, the same as your value. Sorry. Actually, we have both written down the same eqn.

Was there any stipulation in the problem to consider all quantities up to a certain number of decimal places? I've never seen any problem where you have to find out speeds up to 9 decimal places. Then other things should be more accurate, e.g., g=9.81 m/s/s etc.

Perhaps we need to consider the work of friction even when it is in contact with the spring.

But I don't know how to do this part. And no there was no stipulation. I am pretty sure that the velocities are all correct.

You can try it. Then energy before impact with spring = energy to compress spring by 6 cm + energy lost due to friction in moving 6 cm = 0.5*25*0.06^2 + mu*m*g*0.06.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when one surface moves against the other. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 (no friction) to 1 (extremely high friction).

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force required to move an object across a surface by the weight of the object. This can be done through experiments using a variety of methods, such as a ramp or a friction tester.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. What are the applications of determining the coefficient of friction?

Determining the coefficient of friction is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and material science. It helps in designing and improving products, understanding the behavior of materials, and predicting the performance of different surfaces.

5. How does the coefficient of friction impact everyday life?

The coefficient of friction plays a major role in our daily activities, from walking on different surfaces to driving a car. It affects the amount of force needed to move objects, the grip of tires on roads, and the effectiveness of brakes. It also helps in preventing accidents and injuries by providing necessary traction and stability.