Income Distribution: Labor Share Remains Constant, Inequality Increases

In summary: All evidence that I have seen indicates that the share of labor in income distribution has remained more or less constant over the past few decades.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A commonly referred "factoid" claims that within the past ___ years (or decades), the share of labor in income distribution has shrunk while that of capital has increased.

However, all evidence that I've seen (mainly for the U.S.) indicate that:

1. including benefits, the income share of labor has remained more or less constant over the past few decades;

2. there has been a regressive redistribution within labor -- i.e., income inequality within wage earners has increased (e.g., the "minimum wage/managerial wage" ratio has decreased).

AFAIK, fact #2 is hardly disputed, but I think it is often misapplied or misquoted as the income share of labor getting smaller.

Any thoughts or comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm having a dense day, but none of that makes any sense to me. It all just looks like word salad. Could you cite some references (like the actual statistics) discussing this concept?

Ie, generally, "income distribution" a histogram-type description of how much money individuals in a country earn. I've never seen the words "labor" and "capital" used in this context.

Last edited:
Russ, you are talking about income distribution among people or households, while EE is talking about income (or total output) distribution among land, labor and capital (I think).

Ok - output is GDP, not income. That would make more sense. I'll wait for clarification, though...

This may be a really silly question, but nevertheless, what does the GDP go into, other than incomes?

russ_watters said:
Ok - output is GDP, not income. That would make more sense. I'll wait for clarification, though...

Income and output are one and the same. In fact, the terms are used interchangealby within economics in certain contexts.

Gokul43201 said:
This may be a really silly question, but nevertheless, what does the GDP go into, other than incomes?

Exactly. If there is output, then it is someone's income (usually it's multiple peoples income).

russ_watters said:
Maybe I'm having a dense day, but none of that makes any sense to me. It all just looks like word salad. Could you cite some references (like the actual statistics) discussing this concept?

Ie, generally, "income distribution" a histogram-type description of how much money individuals in a country earn. I've never seen the words "labor" and "capital" used in this context.
Thanks for the interest, guys; I would have been far more concrete and careful had this been a social science thread.

Gokul's interpretation is correct, as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_(economics )

Most of the time I have seen the claim "wage labor's income share has been getting smaller," it is not supported by, or referenced to statistics, and I think the reason is there aren't any. Instead, the claim is tossed around with a general reference to worsening income distribution "all around us."

Let me try it this way:

It is relatively easy to find references to a worsening OVERALL income distribution, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_distribution_of_the_United_States, which shows a regression using two separate metrics. See also figures 1-4 in Piketty (2001) as well as other selected figures in same. This distribution includes labor (wage) as well as capital income (e.g., dividends). This, however, can be explained in at least two ways:

1. Within wage labor, there has been a regressive redistribution (Figures 13-16 in Piketty. His Fig. 18 shows CEO vs. average salary wage).

2. Wage income has lost to capital income.

I have seen news articles/columns which presume that #2 has been the case; although research indicates otherwise; e.g. Figure 9 of Pikkety.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "income distribution"?

Income distribution refers to how the total income in a society is divided among its members. It can be measured by looking at the proportion of income received by different groups or individuals within that society.

2. What does it mean when labor share remains constant?

When labor share remains constant, it means that the proportion of income earned by workers in relation to the total income of a society does not change over time. This can also be referred to as the "wage share" or "labor income share".

3. How does a constant labor share contribute to increasing inequality?

A constant labor share can contribute to increasing inequality because it means that the proportion of income earned by workers is not increasing at the same rate as overall income. This can lead to a larger gap between the incomes of workers and those at the top of the income distribution, such as business owners or executives.

4. What factors contribute to a constant labor share?

There are several factors that can contribute to a constant labor share, including changes in technology and globalization. Technological advancements can lead to a decrease in demand for labor, resulting in stagnant wages. Globalization can also contribute to a constant labor share by increasing competition for jobs and driving down wages.

5. How can policymakers address the issue of increasing inequality with a constant labor share?

Policymakers can address the issue of increasing inequality with a constant labor share by implementing policies that aim to increase wages and improve labor market conditions. This can include raising the minimum wage, promoting collective bargaining rights, and investing in education and training programs to increase the skills and productivity of workers. Additionally, policies that address wealth inequality, such as progressive taxation and social safety net programs, can also help to reduce overall income inequality.