How Do Similar Triangles Derive the Thin Lens Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps involved in deriving the thin lens equation and the confusion surrounding the use of similar triangles in the process. The speaker also mentions that the thin lens equation is an approximation and can be obtained through the study of refraction at spherical surfaces using Fermat's principle and small angle approximation. They also reference the book "Optics" by Hecht as a resource for further understanding.
Larrytsai
kk so i found out the steps involved deriving the thin lens equation, but what i don't get is when you have 2 similar triangles say triangle abd,edf are congruent how does the 2 triangles make it so its di/f-1. so what I am basically asking is can someone thourougly explain to me what's going on in the steps to deriving the thin lens equation thnx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember: the thin lens equations are only approximation to the real world. one way to get these formulas is to study refraction at spherical surfaces using Fermat's principle and small angle approximation, amongst other things. It is not a straight forward derviation. See for example: "Optics" by Hecht

The thin lens equation is a fundamental equation in optics that relates the focal length of a lens (f), the object distance (d), and the image distance (i). It is represented as 1/f = 1/d + 1/i.

To understand how this equation is derived, we need to first understand the concept of similar triangles. Similar triangles are triangles that have the same shape but are different in size. This means that their corresponding angles are equal, and their sides are in proportion to each other.

Now, let's look at the steps involved in deriving the thin lens equation. We start with two similar triangles, triangle ABD and triangle EDF, as shown in the image below.

[Insert image of similar triangles]

We know that the focal length of a lens is defined as the distance from the lens to the point where the light rays converge. In our case, this is point F. So, the distance from point A to point F is the focal length (f).

The distance from the object to the lens is represented by d, and the distance from the lens to the image is represented by i. Using the concept of similar triangles, we can write the following proportions:

AD/DF = AB/DE

And,

AF/DF = d/DE

We can rearrange the first proportion to get:

AD = (AB/DE) * DF

Similarly, we can rearrange the second proportion to get:

AF = (d/DE) * DF

Now, if we subtract these two equations, we get:

AD - AF = [(AB/DE) - (d/DE)] * DF

We can simplify this to:

DF = [(AB-d)/DE] * DF

Next, we divide both sides by DF to get:

1 = (AB-d)/DE

We can rewrite this as:

DE = (AB-d)

This means that the distance from the lens to the image (DE) is equal to the difference between the distance from the object to the lens (AB) and the distance from the lens to the image (d).

Finally, we can substitute this value for DE in our original proportion:

AF/DF = d/DE

To get:

AF/DF = d/(AB-d)

We can rearrange this to get:

AF = d * DF/(AB-d)

Since we know that DF = f, we can write this as:

AF = d * f/(AB-d)

And since AF

What is the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the relationship between the focal length, object distance, and image distance of a thin lens. It is expressed as 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

What is a thin lens?

A thin lens is a lens that has a thickness much smaller than its focal length. This means that the lens can be treated as a flat surface and the thin lens equation can be used to describe its behavior.

How do you use the thin lens equation to find the image distance?

To use the thin lens equation to find the image distance, you need to know the focal length and the object distance. Plug these values into the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and solve for di. The resulting value will be the image distance.

What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. This difference in shape affects how light passes through the lens, resulting in different properties and behaviors.

Can the thin lens equation be used for all types of lenses?

No, the thin lens equation can only be used for thin lenses, which have a thickness much smaller than their focal length. For thicker lenses, a more complex formula, known as the thick lens equation, must be used.