Solve Hyperbola Homework with Tangent Equation | Graph Included

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a tangent for a parametrized hyperbola and determining if a tangent can pass through a given point. The method involves finding dy/dx by implicit differentiation and setting up two equations with two unknowns to solve for the tangent line equation. The use of a graphical method is also mentioned, but an analytical approach is recommended.
Firepanda
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6506/hmmyh4.jpg

The question ebfore had me find the equation of the tangent for any parametizaton values of (x(t),y(t)).

Which is y = -x/t^2 + x(t)/t^2 + y(t)

I'm pretty sure the case that a tangent to the hyperbola can't pass through the point is because the point lies inside the curve.

So basically all i have to do is show that for x = 4 in the original equation has a y value less than 4, and for y = 4 in the equation has a x value less than 4? By the way I sketched the graph.Did I do this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your answer for the parametrisation of the hyperbola, the expression gives me y = y(t), which doesn't say much, to say the least.

I don't think you have to parametrise the curve anyway. You first have to find dy/dx by differentiating implicitly and then suppose there is a tangent line to the curve which passes through (4,4) in the form y= mx + c. Let m=dy/dx. Just make sure you express dy/dx in terms of one variable, either y or x only.

Then you have 2 equations:

[tex]4 = 4m + c [/tex]

[tex] y_{0} = mx_{0} + c[/tex]

where [tex]y_{0} and x_{0}[/tex] is the point on the hyperbola for which a tangent line to it passes through (4,4). As above, you should be able to express [tex]y_{0}[/tex] in terms of [tex]x_{0}[/tex] alone. Then you now have 2 equations and 2 unknowns, x0 and c. Try solving for them and see what happens.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with your quasi-graphical method, being able to sketch the graph helps, but it's entirely possible to do this analytically as above.

Last edited:

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, which is the shape created when a plane intersects a cone at a specific angle. It is a symmetrical curve that consists of two distinct branches that are mirror images of each other.

2. How do you find the tangent equation for a hyperbola?

The tangent equation for a hyperbola can be found by using the point-slope form, which is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is a point on the curve. The slope can be calculated using the derivative of the hyperbola's equation, which is (dy/dx) = ±b/a.

3. What is the significance of the tangent equation for a hyperbola?

The tangent equation for a hyperbola helps us to find the slope of a tangent line to a specific point on the curve. This can be useful in applications such as physics, where the slope of a curve represents the rate of change of a variable. It also allows us to determine the equation of a tangent line, which can be used to find the point of intersection between the hyperbola and other curves.

4. How do you graph a hyperbola with the tangent equation?

To graph a hyperbola with the tangent equation, you will need to plot the center of the hyperbola and the point of tangency. Then, using the slope calculated from the tangent equation, you can draw a line passing through the point of tangency. This line will be tangent to the hyperbola at that point. You can repeat this process for multiple points to get a better understanding of the curve's shape.

5. Can you solve a hyperbola homework problem with just the tangent equation?

No, in most cases, the tangent equation alone will not be enough to solve a hyperbola homework problem. You will also need to have knowledge of other properties and equations related to hyperbolas, such as the standard form or the focus-directrix relationship. It is important to have a thorough understanding of all the concepts and equations related to hyperbolas in order to successfully solve homework problems.