Relative size of a function

In summary, determining which function is "bigger" when given two functions depends on the value of x and how "bigger" is defined. Three commonly used definitions are max |f(x)|, \int |f(x)dx, and \sqrt{\int f(x)^2 dx}. When dealing with integrals, the "size" of a function is determined by the y-value when integrating with respect to x, and by the x-value when integrating with respect to y. There is no general rule for determining which function is the top order and which one is the bottom order, so graphing the functions may be necessary to determine the limits of integration.
fk378
This is a general question... when given 2 functions (or more) how can you plug in numbers to determine which function is bigger? Let's say x^2 and x^3...if I plug in 2, x^3 would seem to be the bigger function, but when I graph it, x^2 is the bigger function, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which is 'bigger' would seem to depend on what x is, wouldn't it?

If by "bigger" you mean has its function values grow faster, then x cubed grows faster. If by "bigger" you mean how wide the graph looks when you draw it, x squared is bigger.

As both Dick and Gib Z have pointed out, first, you have to define "bigger" for functions!

There are three definitions commonly used: max |f(x)| where the maximum is taken for x in a specific set, [itex]\int |f(x)dx[/itex] where the integral is over a specific measurable set, and [itex]\sqrt{\int f(x)^2 dx}[/itex] where, again, the integral is over a specific measurable set.

Technically, those are referred to as the "uniform", L1, and L2 norms, respectively.

In any case, when you are talking about how "big" a function is, you are talking about the y value. You appear to be looking at the "width" of graph- the distance horizontally, from the y-axis. That is exactly the opposite of what we would normally think of as one function being bigger than the other. x2 looks "bigger" horizontally than x3 precisely because for a given y, x must be larger in x2. That, of course, is because, for a given x, y is larger in x3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your input and excuse me for my faulty use of language.

By which function is "bigger" I actually am referring to which function that is determined to be the top order versus the function that is determined to be the bottom order, when dealing with integrals.

So if given x^2 and x^3, and without graphing it first, how can you tell which function should be designated as top order and which one would be bottom order?

As I said, it depends on the value of x. Sometimes x^2 is bigger and sometimes x^3 is bigger. You have to find the points where they cross. Solve x^2=x^3 and set your limits accordingly.

fk378 said:
Thank you all for your input and excuse me for my faulty use of language.

By which function is "bigger" I actually am referring to which function that is determined to be the top order versus the function that is determined to be the bottom order, when dealing with integrals.

So if given x^2 and x^3, and without graphing it first, how can you tell which function should be designated as top order and which one would be bottom order?

I think that's worse! What do YOU mean by "top order" and "bottom order"?

I suspect that you are talking about finding the area between two curves and want to know how to determine the upper and lower limits of integration. Don't look for any general rule- the best thing you can do is graph the curves so you can SEE.

If you are integrating with respect to x, then "size" is determined by the y-value. Between x= -1 and x= 1, x3< x2. For x> 1 or x> -1, it is the other way around.

If you are integrating with respect to y, "size" is determined by the x-value. In fact, the best thing to do in that situation is to solve each equation for x and treat x as a function of y.

1. What is the relative size of a function?

The relative size of a function refers to how fast or slow a function grows compared to another function as the input values increase. It is typically measured by the rate of change of the output values.

2. How is the relative size of a function determined?

The relative size of a function can be determined by examining the growth rate of the function as the input values increase. This can be done by finding the limit of the function as the input values approach infinity.

3. What does it mean for a function to have a smaller relative size?

A function with a smaller relative size grows at a slower rate compared to another function as the input values increase. This can also be interpreted as the function having a smaller slope or rate of change.

4. How does the relative size of a function affect its behavior?

The relative size of a function can greatly affect its behavior, as it determines how quickly the function grows or decreases. Functions with larger relative sizes tend to have more dramatic changes in their behavior compared to functions with smaller relative sizes.

5. Can two functions have the same relative size?

Yes, two functions can have the same relative size if they have the same growth rate as the input values increase. This means that their graphs will have similar shapes and slopes, even if their actual values may be different.