What's Up with Unread Private Messages?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, there was an issue with spam PMs being sent to members and the database was cleaned out, but some residual PMs may still be appearing in members' inboxes. If you are affected, check your PM inbox for an empty message dated from 1969 and delete it to make the spam disappear. Some non-science advisors may also be affected.
marlon
i have 1 unread private message since today. i cannot read it and i don't see it appearing in my inbox. what's up ?

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
See the science advisor's forum. All will be revealed in the thread by marcus.

Last edited:
i never go there

will check it out

Actually, there may be a few non-science advisors affected by this too. If you are one of them, look in your PM inbox for an empty message dated from 1969 (it'll be buried with all the old messages you have saved if you have a lot of old messages saved). Delete that and it'll go away. Basically, someone was spamming people by PM, and the data base was cleaned out, but it seems to have left these residual phantom PMs in people's boxes rather than completely clearing them out.

I didn't get one :frown:

_Mayday_ said:
I didn't get one :frown:
I'm sorry. Maybe you'll get spammed next time. :approve:

Perhaps we can all spam Mayday on a weekly rota if it makes Mayday feel better?

I got one of these too: I just scrolled down to the end of my PM box and found a PM with no name or information. I gathered it was some sort of spam anyway, so deleted it!

Evo said:
I'm sorry. Maybe you'll get spammed next time. :approve:
Here you go...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why am I unable to read my private messages?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It is possible that there is a technical problem with the messaging system, your internet connection is not stable, or the sender has not granted you permission to read the private message.

2. How can I fix the problem of not being able to read private messages?

The first step would be to check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. If the problem persists, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If you are still unable to read private messages, contact the messaging platform's customer support for further assistance.

3. Can anyone else read my private messages?

No, private messages are meant to be read only by the intended recipient. However, it is always a good idea to use caution when sharing sensitive information online.

4. Is there a way to recover deleted private messages?

Once a private message is deleted, it cannot be recovered. It is important to be sure before permanently deleting any messages.

5. Can I change my privacy settings to prevent others from reading my private messages?

Yes, most messaging platforms allow users to adjust their privacy settings to control who can read their private messages. Check the platform's privacy settings or contact their customer support for assistance in changing your settings.