Learn Assembly Language on Microprocessors Fast

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with learning assembly language on microprocessors for a Digital Systems course. They are looking for recommendations on resources and tips to speed up the learning process. They are using the ATMega 8515 and do not have much prior knowledge. Some suggestions were to study the datasheet and look for application notes online. The conversation also includes a link to the course content for further reference.
Mc.
Hey guys
I am in the process of learning assembly language on microprocessors and I am progressing slowly.So please if there is anyone, anyone who can recommend something to speed up the process, I am running out of time. I ask for links textbooks or anything that can help.

thank you in advance
Mc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which uC are you coding in assembly for? What kind of tasks are you coding up? What learning resources do you have already? What assembler package are you using?

I am going to be using the ATMega 8515 and there is no specific task I want to do. I need the knowladge for the course I am doing called Digital Systems. To be honest I don't have much it just a few notes I don't think they are enough.

Mc. said:
I am going to be using the ATMega 8515 and there is no specific task I want to do. I need the knowladge for the course I am doing called Digital Systems. To be honest I don't have much it just a few notes I don't think they are enough.
What level is this Digital Systems class? Do they expect you already know how to program some type of microprocessor (i.e. prerequisite)? Perhaps you can share with us the course outline (a weblink would be nice).

A good starting point is to study the data sheet (especially the instruction set) for your micro. They are available on the net. I can point you to one if you cannot find it.

Assembly

Hey thanks guy, I am sorry for not being clear. This is a new course for me and the don't expect me to know anything about programming a micro.
You can view the course content on the web page below.

Any input is highly appreciated.

http://coursemain.ee.ukzn.ac.za/enel3dsh1/index.asp?Code=ENEL3DSH1

Last edited by a moderator:
Mc. said:
Hey thanks guy, I am sorry for not being clear. This is a new course for me and the don't expect me to know anything about programming a micro.
You can view the course content on the web page below.

Any input is highly appreciated.

http://coursemain.ee.ukzn.ac.za/enel3dsh1/index.asp?Code=ENEL3DSH1

From reading the course description, you will get most of what you need in the class. You can work ahead some, if you can find out what assembler you will be using in the class, and get that installed now on your own PC/laptop to play around with some.

And as Ouabache says, read the datasheet for the uC, and look for application notes at the Atmel website about programming the part for various tasks. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is assembly language and why is it important to learn?

Assembly language is a low-level programming language that is used to communicate directly with the hardware of a computer or microprocessor. It is important to learn because it allows for more efficient and precise control over the hardware, making it useful for tasks such as writing device drivers or optimizing code for performance.

2. How does learning assembly language benefit a career in science?

Learning assembly language can benefit a career in science by providing a deeper understanding of how computers and microprocessors work at a fundamental level. This can be useful for designing and troubleshooting hardware, as well as writing more efficient code for scientific applications.

3. What are some common microprocessors that use assembly language?

Some common microprocessors that use assembly language include Intel x86, ARM, and MIPS. These are found in a wide range of devices such as desktop computers, smartphones, and embedded systems.

4. Is assembly language difficult to learn?

Assembly language can be challenging for beginners, as it requires a strong understanding of computer architecture and low-level programming concepts. However, with practice and patience, anyone can learn assembly language.

5. Are there any resources available for learning assembly language on microprocessors?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning assembly language on microprocessors, such as online tutorials, books, and courses. It is also helpful to have access to a microprocessor and development tools for hands-on practice.