Is There More Than Meets the Eye in Finding the General Solution for a Matrix?

In summary, the question is asking for the general solution for a set of 3 equations with variables x, y, and z all equaling 0, represented in matrix form as A[x;y;z]=[0;0;0]. The person asking the question is unsure of what is meant by "general solution" and is asking for clarification. They also provide an example and ask for help writing the variables in terms of the given matrix.
nk735

Homework Statement

Given the matrix A=[...], find the general solution of; A[x;y;z]=[0;0;0]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has me lost. When I look at that it tells me x, y and z are all equal to 0. Is there something I'm missing, perhaps in the words 'general solution'?

Physics news on Phys.org
A[x;y;z]=[0;0;0] is stating in matrix form the general solution to a set of 3 equations of variables x,y,z all = 0. For example If A=[a b c;d e f;g h i], how does one write what x, y and z are in terms of a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h and i IF ax+by+cz=0, dx+ey+fz=0 and gx+hy+iz=0? That's what I got out of the question.

What is a general solution of a matrix?

A general solution of a matrix refers to the set of all possible solutions that satisfy a particular matrix equation or system of linear equations.

How is the general solution of a matrix obtained?

The general solution of a matrix can be obtained by using techniques such as Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion, and Cramer's rule. These methods involve manipulating the coefficients and variables of the matrix equations to solve for the unknown variables.

What is the importance of finding the general solution of a matrix?

Finding the general solution of a matrix allows us to determine the set of all possible solutions to a system of linear equations. This is important in many applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics, where systems of equations frequently arise.

How does the dimension of a matrix affect its general solution?

The dimension of a matrix does not affect its general solution. The general solution is solely dependent on the coefficients and variables of the matrix equations, not on the size or shape of the matrix.

Can the general solution of a matrix have infinite solutions?

Yes, the general solution of a matrix can have an infinite number of solutions. This occurs when the system of linear equations has more variables than equations, resulting in a system that is underdetermined and has an infinite number of solutions.