Easy proof of Why del(phi) is normal to a surface?

In summary, for a 3d space s defined by a function f(x,y,z) = 0, the unit vector normal to the surface at the point (a,b,c) is given by \nabla f(a,b,c) / modulus of \nabla f(a,b,c). This can be derived from the fact that D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}, where \vec{v} is a tangent vector, and recognizing that a unit vector can be written as a combination of three variables that satisfy the equation x= x_0+ at, y= y_0+ bt, z= z_0+ bt.
cpfoxhunt

Homework Statement

Prove that for a 3d space s, defined by a function f(x,y,z) = 0 , a unit vector normal to surface at the point (a,b,c) is given by [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(a,b,c) / modulus of [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(a,b,c)

(Apologies for the bad use of latex)

Homework Equations

None really

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only seem to gesture at this - it was given us as a definition. I know that d(phi)/ds where phi is a surface and s is a distance = [tex]\nabla[/tex](Phi).A , and that surely if a is tangential the LHS is equal to zero, but I'm a bit stuck from there and not sure if I've used things I need to prove. Its only a few marks, but is bugging me.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Cpfoxunt

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware that [itex]D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}[/itex], where [itex]D_{\vec{v}}[/itex] is the derivative in the direction of the unit vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]? From that, it follows that if [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is tangent to a "level surface" [itex]\phi[/itex]= constant, then [itex]D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]\nabla\phi[/itex] is perpendicular to any tangent vector and so to the surface itself.

I am aware of that (and now see why its important). That was what i was trying to get at with my attempt. But I'm still not quite happy - it doesn't explain the unit vector evaluated at (a,b,c), and I feel like I should try to gesture at why D(phi) = del(phi).V ?

I don't understand what you mean by "explain the unit vector". If you recognize that [itex]\nabla \phi[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface, then of course dividing by its own length will give a unit vector in that direction.

As for why [itex]D_{\vec{v}}\phi= \nabla\phi\cdot\vec{v}[/itex], a unit vector can always be written in the form [itex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] where, of course, [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}= 1[/itex]. We can write a line in that direction as [itex]x= x_0+ at[/itex], [itex]y= y_0+ bt[/itex], and [itex]z= z_0+ bt[/itex]. So [itex]\phi(x,y,z)[/itex] in that direction is [itex]\phi( x_0+ at, y_0+ bt, z_0+ ct)[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to t (using the chain rule) and see what you get.

1. What is the definition of normal vector?

The normal vector to a surface is a vector that is perpendicular to the surface at a given point. It is often represented by the symbol "n" and is used to describe the orientation and direction of the surface.

2. Why is it important to prove that del(phi) is normal to a surface?

Proving that del(phi) is normal to a surface is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a vector field on that surface. It also helps us to make accurate calculations and predictions in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. How is del(phi) related to the gradient of a scalar field?

Del(phi) is related to the gradient of a scalar field because it is the operator used to describe the change in a scalar field in a given direction. It is often represented by the symbol "∇" and can be written as the partial derivatives of the scalar field with respect to each of its variables.

4. Can del(phi) be normal to a surface at every point?

No, del(phi) cannot be normal to a surface at every point. It can only be normal to a surface at points where the scalar field is changing in the direction of the surface's normal vector. At other points, del(phi) may be tangent or even parallel to the surface.

5. How can we prove that del(phi) is normal to a surface mathematically?

There are several mathematical methods for proving that del(phi) is normal to a surface, including using the dot product, the directional derivative, or the divergence theorem. These methods involve manipulating equations and using the properties of vector fields and surfaces to demonstrate that del(phi) is indeed normal to the surface in question.