Certain isotope tell you that the decay rate decreases

In summary, measurements of a certain isotope over a period of 5.00 days show a decrease in decay rate from 8337 decays/minute to 3174 decays/minute. Using the equation R=Ro.e^-lamda/t and T1/2 = ln(2)/lamda, the lamda value was calculated to be -1.86*10^-6, indicating an increase in activity. To make the equation linear, units must be converted to the same basis.
xinlan

Homework Statement

Measurements of a certain isotope tell you that the decay rate decreases from 8337 decays/minute to 3174 decays/minute over a period of 5.00 days.

Homework Equations

R=Ro.e^-lamda/t
then T1/2 = ln(2)/lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted all the units..
t = 5 days = 432000 seconds
R = 8337 decays/minute = 52.9 decays/s
Ro=3174 decays/minute = 138.95 decays/s
I did:
R=Ro.e^-lamda/t
52.9=138.95 . e^-lamda*432000
lamda = -1.86*10^-6

I am confused.. the lamda should not be a negative number right?

because half-life should be a positive number..
please help me..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if one take R0 to be the lesser activity and the later activity to be greater, then one will get a negative lamdba since the activity is increasing.

Usually R(t) < R0, i.e. R(t) is decreasing from R0.

If one takes the ln of the decay equation, one can make it linear.

Start with R0 = 8337 decays/minute, then R(t=5days) = 3174 decays/minute, but make sure units/time are on the same basis.

I should convert all the units right?

then if the lamda is negative, the half-life will be negative, and should I just plug in the minus sign as well on the computer?

I got it.. :)

1. What is an isotope?

An isotope is a form of an element that has a different number of neutrons in its nucleus compared to its standard atomic weight. This results in a different atomic weight and sometimes different physical properties.

2. How does an isotope decay?

An isotope decays when it loses energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This process is spontaneous and occurs at a constant rate known as the decay rate.

3. Why does the decay rate of certain isotopes decrease?

The decay rate of certain isotopes decreases due to the phenomenon of radioactive decay. As radioactive isotopes decay, they transform into different elements with a lower atomic weight, resulting in a decrease in the number of unstable atoms and a slower decay rate.

4. How is the decay rate of an isotope measured?

The decay rate of an isotope is measured using its half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the unstable atoms in a sample to decay. This value remains constant regardless of the amount of isotope present.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the decay rate of certain isotopes?

The decay rate of certain isotopes is used in various fields, such as radiocarbon dating, nuclear medicine, and geological dating. It can also help determine the age and origin of materials, and is useful in studying the behavior of radioactive substances in the environment.