Drop Tests - Impact Question

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting low velocity drop test experiments and how to calculate the energy absorbed by the specimen. The load cell reading can be used to calculate the impulse, which can then be converted into energy using the equation E = 1/2mv^2. Alternatively, using strain gauges on the specimen can provide a more direct measurement of the energy absorbed.
Jackmn
Hi all.

I am conducting some low velocity drop test experiments. The test specimen is clamped and held inside a cradle which itself is attached to a load cell. The load cell works in tension and records the force on the cradle.

I believe that the KE just before impact is dispersed in three main ways:
-Absorbed by the specimen by plastic defomation
-On the clamp that holds the specimen - this force is read by the load cell
-The residual velocity of the projectile (if any)
Plus noise and other small losses.

So, my question is, how can i get an energy value from the load cell reading? I need this to find the energy absorbed by the specimen. The load cell gives me a force v time graph. I believe the area under this curve is the impulse, but I'm unsure how I can equate this to an energy value.
Any help would be great - Thanks a lot.
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your experiment with us. It sounds like an interesting and important study. To answer your question, you are correct in thinking that the area under the force versus time curve is the impulse. This impulse is equal to the change in momentum of the specimen, which can be calculated by multiplying the force by the time over which it acts.

To convert this impulse into energy, you can use the equation E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the specimen, and v is the velocity. This equation assumes that all of the kinetic energy is transferred to the specimen, so it may not be entirely accurate in your case. However, it can give you a rough estimate of the energy absorbed by the specimen.

Another approach you could consider is using strain gauges on the specimen to measure its deformation during the impact. This can give you a more direct measurement of the energy absorbed by the specimen.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your experiments!

1. What is a drop test?

A drop test is a type of impact test used to determine the durability and strength of a product by dropping it from a specified height onto a hard surface.

2. Why are drop tests important?

Drop tests are important because they simulate real-world scenarios and help determine the ability of a product to withstand impact and protect its contents. This information is crucial for designing and manufacturing safe and durable products.

3. How are drop tests conducted?

Drop tests are typically conducted using specialized equipment that drops the product from a specified height onto a hard surface. The height and number of drops can vary depending on the product and testing standards.

4. What types of products are subjected to drop tests?

Drop tests can be performed on a wide range of products, including electronic devices, packaging materials, and transportation equipment. Any product that is at risk of being dropped during use or transport can benefit from drop testing.

5. What are the factors that can affect the results of a drop test?

The results of a drop test can be affected by various factors, such as the height and surface of the drop, the orientation of the product upon impact, and the materials and design of the product. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate and consistent test results.