Fossil Fuels: Is Nature Still Producing

• Thread starter angel2138
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, the process of obtaining fossil fuels is very slow and it takes a lot of time to exhaust the reserves.
angel2138
Fossil fuels was created by nature. Dose that mean as we speak the processes continues and fossil fuel is continually being made if not why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fossil fuels result from the decay of dead organic matter, mostly plants. However, the process took millions of years to reach its current state. Although it is still taking place, the process is extremely slow for coal or petroleum. The only useful quick solution to the fossil fuel problem, using such material, is biofuel.

I always wondered what is the connection between the amount of fossil fuels and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Could we say that for each C atom less in fossil fuels, there is one more in the atmosphere? Does anybody know the answer?
(I hope my assumption is wrong, otherwise CO2 concentrations would need houndreds of thousands years to recover).

Yes, essentially the same processes are in place today as there were millions of years ago which led to the formation of the fossil fuels we exploit today. The whole process is quite complicated and takes a long time. Sunlight still shines giving us life on earth, the life still dies and gets buried, over time the buried material gets buried further which matures the dead organic material (the "fossils") into hydrocarbons, the hydrocarbons still flow through little gaps in the rocks until they get trapped in a reservoir.

Lojzek said:
I always wondered what is the connection between the amount of fossil fuels and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Could we say that for each C atom less in fossil fuels, there is one more in the atmosphere? Does anybody know the answer?
(I hope my assumption is wrong, otherwise CO2 concentrations would need houndreds of thousands years to recover).
The chemistry is quite simple. For the best fossil fuel (methane), it looks like this:

CH4 + 2 O2 -> 2 H2O + CO2 + Energy

So every molecule of methane burned yields one molecule of carbon dioxide. Propane, for another example, is C3H8 - so every molecule of propane, when burned, yields 3 molecules of carbon dioxide.

russ_watters said:
The chemistry is quite simple. For the best fossil fuel (methane), it looks like this:

CH4 + 2 O2 -> 2 H2O + CO2 + Energy

So every molecule of methane burned yields one molecule of carbon dioxide. Propane, for another example, is C3H8 - so every molecule of propane, when burned, yields 3 molecules of carbon dioxide.
I based my assumption on the conservation of atoms in chemical reactions. In the moment after burning the number of additional CO2 molecules in the atmosphere must be the same as the number of missing C molecules in the fossil fuel.
But I'm not sure if this change can only be reversed by photosyntesis (more exactly by photosyntesis that is not followed by decay). Maybe there are also chemical reactions that can bind carbon into inorganic molecules. That reactions might run faster in case of higher CO2 concentration, so increased concentrations caused by fossil fuel burning might recover in a shorter time than the fossil fuels need to form again.

Last edited:
that process is very complicated and it needs a lot of time to give us fossil fuel and we are already using that fossil fuel every millisecond in our life.
than how can the process of making the fuel and taking it equal!

abdullahbameh said:
that process is very complicated and it needs a lot of time to give us fossil fuel and we are already using that fossil fuel every millisecond in our life.
than how can the process of making the fuel and taking it equal!

It is not equal. The petroleum reserves in the world are being used up. Why do you think the price of gasoline keeps going up??

The bottom line essentially is that we can't break even. There's enough biomass on the planet to replace the petroleum that we've been using for a couple of hundred years... but only if we stop using it and wait a few million years.
And anyone who comes up with the brilliant idea of compressing organic matter to make oil must remember that it would take more energy to do that than you could ever recover.

1. What are fossil fuels?

Fossil fuels are natural resources that are formed from the remains of plants and animals that lived millions of years ago. They include coal, oil, and natural gas.

2. How are fossil fuels formed?

Fossil fuels are formed through a process that takes millions of years. It begins when plants and animals die and their remains are buried under layers of sediment. Over time, the pressure and heat from the Earth's crust cause the organic matter to break down and become fossil fuels.

3. Is nature still producing fossil fuels?

Yes, nature is still producing fossil fuels, but at a much slower rate compared to the rate at which we are consuming them. It takes millions of years for fossil fuels to form, and the current demand for them is far greater than the rate of production.

4. What are the environmental impacts of using fossil fuels?

The use of fossil fuels has a significant impact on the environment. Burning fossil fuels releases greenhouse gases, which contribute to climate change. Extraction and transportation of fossil fuels also result in air and water pollution. Additionally, the finite nature of fossil fuels means that their depletion can have long-term consequences for the environment.

5. Are there alternatives to fossil fuels?

Yes, there are alternative sources of energy that are more sustainable and have less impact on the environment. These include renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydropower, as well as nuclear energy. Transitioning to these alternatives can help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and mitigate their negative effects on the environment.