What exactly do the signs <=> and => mean?

• Thread starter ehj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of implications and biconditionals in mathematical statements. The participants also provide examples and explanations to demonstrate the truth of these statements. Additionally, they discuss the utility and value of using self-evident truths or axioms in mathematical proofs.
ehj
I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer to this question on the internet. My maths teacher today said that (simplified): b=0 => 0=0 where you multiplied with 0 on both sides. I thought that b=0 <=> 0=0 , but can't explain why, and don't know which is correct, because I don't know, exactly, what the signs mean.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A=>B means A implies B: if A is true then B is true;

A<=>B means A implies B and B implies A.

As for your examples, what is b..??

The statement b=0 => 0=0 doesn't make much sense to me; it's true if b actually is zero and false otherwise, but what are you trying to say with this formula?

The same goes for the statement b=0 <=> 0=0.

The statement

P <=> Q

means the same thing as the pair of statements

P => Q
Q => P

The statement b=0 => 0=0 doesn't make much sense to me; it's true if b actually is zero and false otherwise, but what are you trying to say with this formula?
You are incorrect; that implication is, in fact, true. The truth of P=>Q does not require P to be true; it only requires that it is impossible for P to be true and Q to be false simultaneously. If you want to assert that both P and Q were true, then you would assert "P and Q".

You're right of course, thanks.
What could me make forget about "ex falso quodlibet".:smile:

Basically, A=>B means if we know that A is true then B is true, also if we know that B is false we can show that A is false. If all we know is that A is false we aren't certain about B, and if all we know is that B is true we aren't certain about A.

A <=> B means they are either both true or both false.

Is it possible to show what you're saying with an example?
For instance (sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 is true, so can I write

(sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 <=> 0=0

?

Hurkyl said:
The truth of P=>Q does not require P to be true; it only requires that it is impossible for P to be true and Q to be false simultaneously. If you want to assert that both P and Q were true, then you would assert "P and Q".

With Q being "0=0", wouldn't that mean that P can be anything you want, a part from a literal assignment of "0=1" or "0 != 0"?

7+7=14 => 0=0
7+7=15 => 0=0

Wouldn't a statement like that be totally meaningless?

k

ehj said:
Is it possible to show what you're saying with an example?
For instance (sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 is true, so can I write

(sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 <=> 0=0

?
Since both sides are true and anything=> True, yes, that is a trivially true statement.

kenewbie said:
With Q being "0=0", wouldn't that mean that P can be anything you want, a part from a literal assignment of "0=1" or "0 != 0"?

7+7=14 => 0=0
7+7=15 => 0=0

Wouldn't a statement like that be totally meaningless?

k
The statement
0=1 => 0=0​
is, in fact, a true statement about integers. You might not think it a useful statement, but that doesn't change the fact it's a true statement.

The utility becomes more obvious when you generalize: you know that
x = y => 2x = 2y​
is a true statement, right? It's an obvious (and easily proven) statement about integers! So, it must be true if it happens that x=0 and y=1.

That's why it's a "conditional" clause -- i.e. an "if-then" statement. Suppose that we know P=>Q is true. This tells us that, if P happens to be true, then Q must also be true. But if P doesn't happen to be true, it tells us nothing.

Many good points Hurkyl, thank you. I get why it is true.

But, assuming the OP didn't mangle his professors point in the process of posting this, why would he put a self evident truth or axiom (depending on how you look at it) as Q? (0 = 0, or in English; A thing is equal to itself). You cannot use math to prove 0 = 0. Since math requires that a = a in the first place, that would be a circular argument.

So, I don't see the point of putting 0 = 0 in Q.

k

(sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1 <= 0=0

never seen such an elegant proof of (sin(x))^2 + (cos(x))^2 = 1. ;)

What do the signs <=> and => mean?

The signs <=> and => are used as operators in programming languages, specifically in logic and control flow. They are known as the "spaceship" and "fat arrow" operators, respectively.

What is the difference between <=> and =>?

Both operators serve similar functions in comparing values and defining functions, but the <=> operator also allows for three possible outcomes (less than, equal to, or greater than) while the => operator is used for assignment.

How do you use <=> and => in code?

The <=> operator is typically used in sorting algorithms, as it allows for natural sorting of values. The => operator is commonly used in defining functions or assigning values to variables.

Can <=> and => be used in any programming language?

While these operators are commonly used in languages like Ruby and Perl, they may not be available in all programming languages. It is important to consult the documentation of a specific language to determine if these operators are supported.

Are there any other operators that have similar functions to <=> and =>?

Yes, other languages may have different operators that serve similar purposes, such as the "spaceship" operator (<=>) in PHP or the "fat arrow" operator (=>) in JavaScript. However, the specific functionality and syntax of these operators may vary.