Guiding Wave Through Diffraction in Photonic Crystal Fiber

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using diffraction or scattering instead of reflections to guide a wave in a fiber. The second question asks if it is possible to create a "diffractive fiber" that can guide a wave and produce a specific field pattern at the end, similar to using holograms or SPM to create a multifocus tool. The idea is to add a third dimension to this SPM or hologram, similar to an optical fiber, in order to guide a wave and achieve the desired field pattern. This concept was inspired by an article about the "Fresnel-fiber" by Prof. Canning in OpticsExpress.
androz
Hi,
Can someone tell me how a wave is guided (in a fiber for instance) thinking
in term of diffraction (or scattering) and not in term of successive
reflections.
And my second question is : would it be possible to "extrude" a plan
diffractive element in a fiber to guide wave and have the right diffractive
motion at the end of the "diffractive fiber" ?

Science news on Phys.org
Could you rephrase/expound on your second question? I'm not understanding it.

Well,
Imagine you want a particular field pattern, a particular laser beam shape.
It is possible to use holograms or SPM to "create" a multifocus tool, ie
a sort of lattice of light spots for instance, or a particular beam shape
such as Laguerre-Gauss laser beams.
My question was : would it be possible to put a third dimension to this SPM or hologram, just like an optical fibre, in order to guide a wave, and have the desired field at the end of the fiber, such as a Bessel beam, or a Laguerre-Gauss beam...
I was thinking of it just after I read an article of Prof. Canning in
OpticsExpress this month about the so-called "Fresnel-fiber".

1. How does diffraction affect light propagation in photonic crystal fiber?

Diffraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with differing refractive indices. In photonic crystal fiber, the periodic arrangement of air holes causes diffraction, leading to a guided wave that follows the fiber's structure.

2. What is the guiding mechanism in photonic crystal fiber?

The guiding mechanism in photonic crystal fiber is based on the principle of total internal reflection. The periodic arrangement of air holes creates a photonic bandgap that prevents the light from escaping the fiber, forcing it to propagate along the fiber's axis.

3. How does the size and shape of the air holes affect the guiding properties of photonic crystal fiber?

The size and shape of the air holes play a crucial role in determining the photonic bandgap and, therefore, the guiding properties of photonic crystal fiber. Smaller air holes lead to a larger bandgap, resulting in stronger confinement and better guiding of light.

4. Can different wavelengths of light be guided through photonic crystal fiber?

Yes, photonic crystal fiber can guide a broad range of wavelengths, including visible, infrared, and even terahertz. The photonic bandgap can be engineered to match the desired wavelength, making it a versatile tool for light propagation.

5. What are the potential applications of guiding wave through diffraction in photonic crystal fiber?

Photonic crystal fiber has a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, sensing, and biomedicine. Its ability to guide light with high flexibility and low loss makes it useful in various fields that require precise control of light propagation.