Bendingmoment and shearing force diagram

In summary, the conversation is about successfully working out reactions and being unsure of how to draw a bending moment and shearing force diagram in the second part of an assignment. The person suggests plotting the calculated bending moments on an x,y graph and mentions the possibility of a Uniformly distributed load for the shear force. They also express a need for further help and ask for an MSN or email address.
joe90102
I think i have successfully worked out the reactions, but do not know what to do in the second part where i have been asked to draw a bending moment and shearing force diagram..

Thanks,

Joe.

p.s i tried to attach an image of this but it is saying 15 posts or more... very weird system to have :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Science assignment 3 by any chance?

For the bending moment graph simply plot each calculated bending moment you have calculated! Plain old x,y graph.

oh and for the shear force ... it depends if you have a Uniformly distributed load?

Has anyone got MSN or an email address so that they can help me on this??

What is a bending moment diagram?

A bending moment diagram is a graphical representation of the variation of bending moments along the length of a beam or structural element. It shows how the bending moment changes at different points along the beam, and is commonly used in structural engineering to analyze the strength and stability of a structure.

How is a bending moment diagram different from a shear force diagram?

A shear force diagram shows the variation of shear forces along the length of a beam, while a bending moment diagram shows the variation of bending moments. Shear force is the force that acts perpendicular to the length of the beam, while bending moment is the force that causes the beam to bend. Both diagrams are used together to fully analyze the forces acting on a beam.

Why are bending moment and shear force diagrams important in structural engineering?

Bending moment and shear force diagrams are important in structural engineering because they help engineers determine the maximum stresses and forces acting on a structure. These diagrams are used to ensure that the structure can withstand the expected load and remain stable, and to determine the size and placement of structural elements such as beams and columns.

What factors affect the shape of a bending moment diagram?

The shape of a bending moment diagram is affected by several factors, including the type of load applied to the beam (e.g. point load, distributed load), the location and magnitude of the load, and the support conditions of the beam. Other factors such as the type of material and the cross-sectional shape of the beam can also affect the shape of the bending moment diagram.

How is a bending moment diagram calculated?

A bending moment diagram is calculated using the principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. The equation for bending moment is M = F * d, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the point of interest to the point of support. By calculating the bending moment at different points along the beam, the shape of the bending moment diagram can be determined.