Recording Voltage readings in Excel

In summary, Excel can be used to capture data from a USB interface module, but you will need to find a data logger that will allow real-time output.
dingpud
I am sure that many of you are using Excel to do data capture, what are some suggestions as to a USB interface module that will allow multiple voltage or current readings.

Also, any suggestions on any built in timer functions in Excel?

Thanks,
pud

Engineering news on Phys.org
Couldn't begin to tell you, pal... I'm a Mac guy.

Look at http://www.picotech.com/ they have examples of how to get data from their daa loggers ino excel.

I have used Excel Visual Basic macros to capture data over a RS232 cable. I was unable to find code which allowed me to directly access a USB port thou I did not research it very far.

VB has a timer function, IIRC it does not quite work the way I wanted it to, but I could use to take timed measurements.

alt f11, will get you into the VB editor, use the help function, and find a reference for VB coding.

I am not sure what kind of module you are looking for, seems like you need a smart (at with some form of communications) instrument. You should be looking for an instrument, not a USB module.

These instruments essentially have two or three parts: they need an interface module, a data acquisition component (in this case, something to read voltage and digitize it), and optionally, memory to log it. Here's an example of one my company sometimes uses: http://www.microdaq.com/supco/logit/lcv.php

These don't go realtime into Excel, you data log, then export to Excel later.

There may still be interface devices specifically designed to take a 0-10V signal, digitize it, and send it to a computer. You'd still need a voltage transformer to get the signal down to 0-10V.

Definitely data loggers are the way to go. I don't think I would trust a low voltage level on a serial line as the DAQ path. There would be too much room for signal distortion I would think.

I appreciate all of the responses, and I will continue to update as I get new information. I definately want to try and keep it real time.

Data logger is what I was looking towards...guess it's time to go on ebay...

thanks all...

BTW...work has really been interupting the amount of time that i get to surf PF... any suggestions? Other than quitting?

Anhar Miah, this looks like it will work perfectly. The price is nice too. If I end up getting one, I'll try and give some feedback.

Thanks again.

1. How do I record voltage readings in Excel?

To record voltage readings in Excel, you can use the "Number" format to ensure that the values are displayed correctly. Then, simply enter the voltage readings in the corresponding cells in your spreadsheet.

2. Can I plot voltage readings in Excel?

Yes, Excel has a built-in feature called "Charts" that allows you to create visual representations of your data, including voltage readings. Simply select the cells with your voltage readings and click on "Insert" > "Charts" to choose the type of chart you want to create.

3. How do I calculate the average voltage readings in Excel?

To calculate the average voltage readings in Excel, you can use the "AVERAGE" function. Simply select the cells containing your voltage readings and enter "=AVERAGE(" in the cell where you want the result to appear. Then, press "Enter" and the average will be calculated.

4. Can I add a trendline to my voltage readings in Excel?

Yes, you can add a trendline to your voltage readings in Excel using the "Trendline" option in the "Charts" menu. This will allow you to see the overall trend and make predictions based on your data.

5. How do I save my voltage readings in Excel?

To save your voltage readings in Excel, simply click on "File" > "Save" or "Save As" and choose a location on your computer to save the file. You can also use the shortcut "Ctrl + S" to quickly save your changes.