Debunking the Myth of Natural Products: The Truth About Artificial Vitamin C

• Thread starter SF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of people praising "natural" products, even beyond the laws of physics. The example of natural vitamin C being touted as superior to artificial vitamin C, despite having the same chemical structure, is mentioned. The speaker points out that the difference in effectiveness may be due to the manufacturing process, rather than the natural or artificial nature of the product. The concept of "natural" products and their supposed benefits is further questioned, with the speaker noting that natural produce often contains additional nutrients that enhance its overall nutritional value. However, the speaker also acknowledges that the praise for natural products may be exaggerated in many cases.
SF
I keep hearing people praise "natural" products even beyond the limits of the laws of physics!
For example, a friend of mine who studies medicine said that natural vitamin C has different effects than artificial different C (the artificial one has some side effects) even though they have the same chemical structure.
And he's going to be a freaking doctor! I'm sorry I can't remember what the specific difference was.

If there is any truth to these claims, then it must relate to the manufacturing process: artificial vitamin C may come together with other by-products that cause the side-effects, while natural vitamin C comes together with other plant stuff that might help the body.

Thoughts on this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with being natural or un-natural. It is well known that many artifical vitimin C products are far less absorbant and it is well known why, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esterification" [Broken]. There are no "side effect" other that less efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand exactly what you mean by 'natural' products. Do you mean a comparison like extracted vitamin C tablets as opposed to 'natural' vitamin C from friuts, veggies, etc. or another comparison like organically grown veggies as opposed to chemically-treated crops?

Cause if it were the first example I gave, then it would be obvious that 'natural' is almost always better because the natural produce contains a plethora of other nutrients which complement the vitamin C content in the food.

Lots of examples can be given, but yes, I understand where you're coming from about the heaps of praise people give to 'natural' products. It might be justified, but more often than not it's just blown out of proportion.

1. What is the myth surrounding natural products and artificial vitamin C?

The myth is that natural products, such as fruits and vegetables, are always a better source of vitamin C compared to artificial vitamin C supplements.

2. Is there any truth to this myth?

No, this is not entirely true. While natural sources of vitamin C do provide other nutrients and antioxidants, the vitamin C content can vary greatly depending on factors such as storage, transportation, and cooking methods.

3. How does artificial vitamin C differ from natural vitamin C?

Artificial vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a chemically synthesized form of vitamin C. It is identical in chemical structure to natural vitamin C found in fruits and vegetables, but it is produced in a laboratory.

4. Are there any advantages to taking artificial vitamin C instead of getting it from natural sources?

Yes, there are some advantages to taking artificial vitamin C. Since it is produced in a lab, the amount of vitamin C in each supplement is consistent and can be easily measured. It is also more stable and less prone to degradation compared to natural sources.

5. Are there any risks associated with taking artificial vitamin C?

No, there are no known risks associated with taking artificial vitamin C in recommended doses. However, like any supplement, it is important to follow the recommended dosage and consult with a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement regimen.