Attempt at proof by contradiction need verification

In summary, the problem is asking to prove algebraically that the sum of the squares of any two consecutive even integers is never a multiple of 8. To do this, we can represent the two consecutive even integers as 2x and 2x+2, and then find the sum of their squares. When divided by 8, the remainder will never be 0, thus proving that the sum is never a multiple of 8. The attachments provided by the student do not seem to be relevant to the solution.
duckandcover

Homework Statement

GCSE past paper question.
prove algebraically that the sum of the squares of any two consecutive even integers is never a multiple of 8

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

n and x are integers 2x and 2x+2 represent two consecutive even integers.

see attachment.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    35 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, those arn't consecutive even integers. Just put x = 1, you get 2 and 3. 3 is not even.

alternative non word attachment, mathematica

Attachments

• Untitled-1.nb
    3.5 KB · Views: 222
dx said:
No, those arn't consecutive even integers. Just put x = 1, you get 2 and 3. 3 is not even.

sorry should be 2x+2

i will edit the post

the document workings are as 2x+2

further help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Ok, "two consectutive even numbers" can be represented as 2x and 2x+ 2. Now, what is the sum of their squares? What is the remainder of that number when divided by 8? And why did you label this "attempt at proof by contradiction" when there was no such attempt? And since the problem says "prove algebraically" I see no reason to even try proof by contradiction.

HallsofIvy said:
Ok, "two consectutive even numbers" can be represented as 2x and 2x+ 2. Now, what is the sum of their squares? What is the remainder of that number when divided by 8? And why did you label this "attempt at proof by contradiction" when there was no such attempt? And since the problem says "prove algebraically" I see no reason to even try proof by contradiction.

see microsoft word attatchment or mathmatica attatchment for the attempt. for a contridiction i made the sum equal to the multiple of 8.

When I try to open the word attachment I see letters covered by black rectangles. I don't have mathematica so I can't open that. I don't see any reason to use "contradiction". Are you required to prove it that way?

What is an "attempt at proof by contradiction"?

An attempt at proof by contradiction is a mathematical proof technique that involves assuming the opposite of what we are trying to prove and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. If we can prove that the opposite leads to a contradiction, then we can conclude that our original statement is true.

Why is verification necessary in this type of proof?

Verification is necessary in an attempt at proof by contradiction because there is always a possibility that our initial assumption or reasoning may be incorrect. By verifying our proof, we can ensure that our logic is sound and our conclusion is valid.

What are the key steps in an attempt at proof by contradiction?

The key steps in an attempt at proof by contradiction are: 1) assuming the opposite of what we are trying to prove, 2) using this assumption to derive a contradiction, and 3) concluding that our original statement must be true because the opposite leads to a contradiction.

Is proof by contradiction always a valid method of proof?

No, proof by contradiction is not always a valid method of proof. It can only be used in certain situations where the statement we are trying to prove has a clear opposite or negation. Additionally, the steps must be followed carefully and the contradiction must be logically sound for the proof to be valid.

Are there any alternatives to proof by contradiction?

Yes, there are alternative methods of proof such as direct proof, proof by induction, and proof by contrapositive. Each method may be more suitable for different types of proofs and it is important for a scientist to be familiar with multiple proof techniques.