Systems Engineering Best Textbook?

In summary: I feel like I should weigh in. SE textbooks often focus on System Acquisition and Management - e.g., the "philosophy of SE". People read texts or complete university classes, return to their organizations, and still do not understand HOW TO capture and characterize a user’s vision, translate the user’s operational needs into meaningful specifications and designs, and deliver a system, product, or service that meets the user's needs. They emerge with a few concepts and a vocabulary of buzzwords that impress people ... but are often interchanged and inappropriately used - e.g., verification and validation (V&V). This text was written to accommodate both undergraduate and graduate level instruction as well as corporate engineering training programs. Its
mheslep
Gold Member
I am looking for some textbook recommendations in Systems Engineering: decision support, modeling, mathematical riqor. I've been asking around and apparently http://books.google.com/books?id=YCQFAAAACAAJ&dq=Engineering+Design+of+Systems,+Models+and+Methods++Buede&num=100&ei=QJ1dSNjVGYLAigHlsuSKDA" , by Buede is recommended. Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would highly recommend Peter Checkland, he is pretty much the "don" of systems engineering:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Checkland

Its a complex subject, but one of the best way of understading the concept is:

Systems Engineering = a systems approach using engineering principles.

Systems have two major views: Holistic and reductionalistic.

Anway there is plenty of reading material out on the subject matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_Engineering

I suggest the following textbook published by John Wiley (New York) as part of their System Engineering and Management Series:

System Analysis, Design, and Development: Concepts, Principles, and Practices (www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471393339.html[/URL])

For the record ... I am the author of the textbook.

SE textbooks often focus on System Acquisition and Management - e.g., the "philosophy of SE". People read texts or complete university classes, return to their organizations, and still do not understand HOW TO capture and characterize a user’s vision, translate the user’s operational needs into meaningful specifications and designs, and deliver a system, product, or service that meets the user's needs. They emerge with a few concepts and a vocabulary of buzzwords that impress people ... but are often interchanged and inappropriately used - e.g., verification and validation (V&V).

This text was written to accommodate both undergraduate and graduate level instruction as well as corporate engineering training programs. Its purpose is to enable students and readers to actually understand HOW TO perform System Engineering rather than philosophize about it - e.g., translate a user's need(s) into the physical realization of the system, product, or service. The text provides new insights to SE concepts, principles, and practices. Yet, avoids rehashing the same material that has been in existence over several decades.

A key feature of this text is that it has topic-based chapters. Personnel in organizations today do not have hours of time to unravel the details of an SE topic scattered across multiple chapters. Most people want a desk reference that conveniently isolates topics that can be read and understood in less than 30 - 45 minutes. This was one of the key objectives in writing this text.

Textbooks often include "principles" in the title as a marketing ploy. Then, fail to deliver on the title-based promise to help the reader easily identify key principles associated with a topical chapter. This text includes key guiding principles, by chapter reference identifier, at the end of each chapter. Over 100 in total.

As a final note, the text won the Paris-based International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) Book of the Year Award, their most prestigious of four awards. Whereas the IAA has traditionally selected space flight-centric publications over the past 20 years, this text was written for application to any business domain system, product, or service.

You can view the textbook’s outline and description as well as links to reviewer comments at: [PLAIN]www.wassonstrategics.com/textbook.php[/URL].

I hope this summary provides beneficial information to assist in answering your question.

Best Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Two year old thread

As a scientist with experience in systems engineering, I can offer a few recommendations for textbooks in this field. First, I would highly recommend "Systems Engineering: Principles and Practice" by Alexander Kossiakoff, William N. Sweet, Samuel J. Seymour, and Steven M. Biemer. This textbook covers all aspects of systems engineering, including decision support, modeling, and mathematical rigor.

Another excellent textbook is "Engineering a Safer World: Systems Thinking Applied to Safety" by Nancy Leveson. This book focuses on the application of systems thinking to safety engineering, making it a valuable resource for anyone interested in decision making and modeling in the context of safety.

In terms of the specific textbook you mentioned, "Engineering Design of Systems, Models and Methods" by Dennis M. Buede, it is widely recognized as a comprehensive and well-written textbook in the field of systems engineering. It covers a wide range of topics, including decision making and mathematical modeling, making it a solid choice for your studies.

Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your specific interests and needs. I would recommend researching and comparing a few different textbooks to find the one that best suits your learning style and covers the topics that are most relevant to your studies. Additionally, don't hesitate to ask for recommendations from professors or colleagues in the field of systems engineering for their personal favorites.

1. What is Systems Engineering?

Systems Engineering is an interdisciplinary approach to designing, developing, and managing complex systems. It involves integrating various components and processes to achieve a specific goal or function.

2. Why is a textbook necessary for learning about Systems Engineering?

A textbook provides a comprehensive and structured overview of the fundamental concepts, principles, and methodologies of Systems Engineering. It also includes real-world examples and case studies to help students understand and apply the concepts.

3. What should I look for in a good Systems Engineering textbook?

A good textbook should cover the core concepts of Systems Engineering, such as systems thinking, requirements analysis, system architecture, and system integration. It should also include practical exercises, case studies, and examples to help students apply the concepts in a real-world context.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for Systems Engineering?

Yes, there are several highly recommended textbooks for Systems Engineering, such as "Systems Engineering: Principles and Practice" by Alexander Kossiakoff, "System Engineering: Analysis, Design, and Development" by Charles S. Wasson, and "Systems Engineering Fundamentals" by U.S. Department of Defense.

5. How can I determine which Systems Engineering textbook is the best for me?

The best textbook for you will depend on your specific needs and learning style. It is recommended to read reviews and compare different textbooks to find one that aligns with your learning goals and interests. You can also consult with your professors or colleagues for their recommendations.